Toro Electric Clutch

Old 08-13-19, 12:30 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Toro Electric Clutch

Cheese helped me awhile back getting an electric clutch under a Toro HMR 1600 back into operation. It has been running fine until a couple of days ago when it would not engage with the toggle switch. Making sure everything else was in the proper position I started following the easiest wiring path from the switch to check and I pulled out the 10 amp fuse right in the line under the seat. cannot swear this went to the clutch as the wires are in a covered harness, but removing the fuse, and reinstalling it allowed me to engage the clutch for the rest of the mowing operation with no problem. Starting it up today to do a quick touch up, same thing, remove fuse, reinstall, bang the clutch engages. Not sure where to go next for possible issues to cure this. Any clues?

Old 08-13-19, 12:40 PM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
You don't think it's just the fuse holder? Or possibly some wiring connection moving when you work with the fuse.

Old 08-13-19, 05:49 PM
W
its a pain all by itself just to change the fuse, so I havent done the due dilligence on the wiring coming to, or going out of the holder, or the holder itself. It could be the switch too, but the last one of those that failed on another machine was like no mistake, here today, gone 100% the next. I also have an electric clutch that has rigged changes too, like Frankensteins monster, So I guess I will just have to get it up in the air so I can start at the clutch and see if there is power all the way there and work my way back when it doesnt engage the next time. I am just too busy!

Old 08-13-19, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
With the removal and re-installation of the fuse making the difference both times, I would bet on the fuse holder being the culprit. Next time you try it and the clutch won't come on, leave the fuse alone and use a jumper wire to the terminals behind the fuse connector to see if it makes the clutch come on. If so, you know it's the connectors to the fuse, which is a common area for failure.

Old 08-31-19, 03:39 PM
W
I have had no more issues with the deck engagement, hasnt died again. This HMR 1600 was only made for a year, and I know I sent Cheese a photo of the linkgage for the interactive steering that was pretty inovative, but it still wont let me make a complete hard right turn in 1st gear. when I had it up in the air to check the clutch fuse, I decided to re set all the specifications for linkage positions, and the belt guide positions (.014) and anything else that might affect it. It will work fine in SECOND gear or higher but not first) Belts are all new, transmissions were rebuilt, but no instruction in the manual for anything else. For the age of it, I can live with right turns in second gear, but 1st would be( a LOT better for hard right, narrow trimming with this machine. It will turn right in 1st for for a 45 degree angle, but not a 90 which it is supposed to do. It just goes so far and slows to a stop the harder I turn the wheel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: