Echo (pas 225) trimmer(new carb and spark plug) not starting

Old 08-13-19, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Echo (pas 225) trimmer(new carb and spark plug) not starting

It had been working now about a few uses since replacing the carb and I checked the exhaust screen and cleaned it and I noticed the plug seemed wet. I didn't really test much with a new plug more than trying to get it to start. I wonder if the spark components fail. I have something to check for spark which I'll do later when it gets dark but maybe someone has a good suggestion? Let me know. I'll update later

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-19, 05:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Dump all the gas out of it and see if it will fire with full throttle and no choke.

Double check carb mounting screw for tightness.

Check for spark with kill wire (small wire from the coil) disconnected. No spark = replace coil, but double check to make sure there is no spark.

Old 08-13-19, 09:24 PM
Thank you! I'll check those things tomorrow and report back...

Old 08-15-19, 11:44 AM
Well I must have spark since it has started but dies pretty quickly. I usually have to choke it first. Screws to carb tight. And I don't have easy access to the wires but maybe that doesn't matter since I established I have spark(?). Any other ideas? Brand new carb. Worked a few times great. I'll check out some vids on YouTube. Thanks...

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-19, 01:05 PM
Sounds like the coil and ignition are OK. I would guess fuel delivery to the carb is blocked or leaking air. Those lines are inexpensive. I would replace the fuel lines and make sure they are snug on the fittings. Also make sure the filter on the line in the tank is clean and submerged and the fuel is clean with no water.

Usually if the cap vent is plugged it will run a little longer before dying but it needs to be clear.

Check the underside of the carb for a mixture adjustment screw. Some of those have them and others don't.

Old 08-15-19, 01:42 PM
Thanks. Yeah I just read somewhere someone blew one of the lines clear which appeared to work and they replaced the lines and filter. I do actually have replacement lines and filter from my carb kit. Just didn't want to replace them if necessary. The primer bulb is full though if that matters. Does it? I'm not clear on exactly how it works but I initially I'm thinking if fuel is getting that far it should be enough. Bit it's probably a pressure thing? Does the bulb create a constant fuel pressure and in my case possibly its just not enough? I shall replace the line next. Thanks...

Old 08-15-19, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Sounds like the carb clogged back up. I wonder if the fuel filter is still on the pickup line or if maybe the return line without a filter got hooked up to the carb supply port.

Old 08-15-19, 08:32 PM
I'm not clear on exactly how it works but I initially I'm thinking if fuel is getting that far it should be enough. Bit it's probably a pressure thing? Does the bulb create a constant fuel pressure and in my case possibly its just not enough?
That primer bulb is just a one direction pump that pulls fuel from the tank on the filter line and pushes it through the carburetor and back to the fuel tank on the line without the filter.. That fills the reservoir in the carb and flushes all the air from the system. All that gets the fuel system ready to start and run the engine.

The pump diaphragm will fill and maintain the fuel reservoir when the engine is running.. The primer just serves the purpose previously described. It doesn't feed the carb ongoing.

Old 08-19-19, 03:42 PM
Hmm... Idk now. I first tried just blowing out the lines. Didn't work. Checked plug and noticed it was wet. Does that matter or can that happen from just cranking the engine over several times?

So then I just replaced the lines and fuel filter and lines and spark plug but no go. Not even a start and it was at least starting before. So now I'm wondering as one of you suggested the new carb got clogged again. How likely is that?

Any other ideas? Otherwise maybe it's time to just bring it to a mechanic but who does that? Might you as well just grab a new one at that point? I've never been to a small engine mechanic but I imagine they charge similar to any mechanic and we'd probably be looking at an hour min. What do you guys think? Thanks

Old 08-20-19, 07:12 AM
I would say you're flooding it.
When you try to start it, pump the primer bulb three times. Then set the choke to full on and if it doesn't try to start (usually its just a little flutter) after a few pulls move the choke to the off position and hold the throttle fully open and pull it until you get something to happen.

If you have to fight it too much and don't have a lot of trimming to do you might consider a battery powered job. It would be a lot less headaches than a two stroke.

Old 08-20-19, 09:05 AM
Seem to recall with some 'yard tools' the replacement components are non-adjustable?

If after attempting to start the engine with no success, and find the plug wet, I would suggest let the tool sit for a while and on the next attempt do not use the primer and try starting with a full choke. With a replacement carb may need to tinker with a combination of priming and the use of the choke.

Most importantly, if the fuel is not relatively fresh then starting the engine can be problematic. Although it is not necessary, fresh gasoline and oil mixture will work fine, I have recently gone to a premixed, nonadditive; no ethanol, fuel, Stihl and a few other companies offer it and from my experience, it seems the gasoline tends to hold up longer.

Old 08-20-19, 01:49 PM
I indeed must have been flooding it presumably with too much priming and cranking. I was able to start it holding the throttle down. I probably didn't need to change the plug filter and lines but now it's over with and it worked flawlessly today. My echo wants to keep going. It's only like five years old and with better troubleshooting knowledge I hope I can keep it going for many years to come. I imagine these can keep going til the piston etc wears out. Thank you all for keeping up with me on this. The better you get at troubleshooting engines the longer they last, or remain working for you