Repairing a snow blower - not mechanical

Old 08-16-19, 02:38 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing a snow blower - not mechanical

Hello!

In a rare example of not procrastinating, I'm already prepping for our New England winter. Yes it's still 80f outside, but it wont be long till that is a distant memory!!!

I have a Craftsman Snowblower, 586.886260. I don't know the age. I picked it up for a handful of bucks a few years ago, and it's worked like a trooper after various DIY fixes (for example, the augers were reversed, so it was pushing the snow outwards!).

Anyway, the issue is simple enough; the front 'scoop' has come away from the main body; It looks like it may have originally been welded, and then subsequently repaired using rivets. Three pictures attached.

I do not own a welder, and I don't know anyone who does, so I'd like to keep welding at the bottom of the list of ways to repair.

I'm thinking of using some metal strips and bolts, holding it all together; The rivets obviously worked for a while, but I don't see them having the strength needed.

Looking for advice on how to repair this beast before winter sets in!

Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 08-16-19, 03:53 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I'd find a local welding shop, but since you already mentioned that I'll jump ahead. Just going by what I can see in the pictures, it looks like you should be able to move over and drill some new holes and either rivet or bolt it. Then, once you had it pulled into place and bolted, yes, I would think a couple pieces of bar stock, 3" long or so would help carry the load and keep it from opening up there. If you have clearance, I would be thinking matching pieces inside and out, but assume the impeller is in that general area so maybe not an option.

BritInMA voted this post useful.
Old 08-17-19, 04:37 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Thought about this later, and as long as it didn't interfere with anything I would probably use angle iron on the outside. Maybe overkill, but would add a bit more strength. And would use a ratchet strap, clamps, or whatever worked to pull everything tight before drilling the holes.

Old 08-17-19, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The big issue with snowblowers is they vibrate so much. You could just install some self-taping sheet metal screws or better yet some bolts and nylon locknuts.

Old 08-18-19, 05:27 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies / ideas; I think I'm going to mix them all up; self tapping screws, bolts & nylon locknuts, and angle iron!!!

Eventually I will get it welded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: