Rebuilding extractors on V-twin - different lengths?

Old 08-18-19, 08:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding extractors on V-twin - different lengths?

Hi Guys,

Pretty well managed to get it all in the title! I have a 700cc 22hp V-twin Honda copy that I'm mounting on a home built sawmill project. As you can see from the first image, my saw beam height is going to be restricted by the lead screw chains as the muffler will interfere where it is right now.

I thought it would be easy enough to just invert it but of course the extractors aren't symmetrical in both axes. So i'll have to start again with new extractors. This would lower the muffler enough to give me acceptable height on the saw beam.

I did wonder, since I'm going to have to build new extractors anyway, if I could run them to the side of the engine then mount the muffler vertically. This would of course mean one cylinders extractor is a lot shorter than the other by about 12 inches. Is this likely to affect performance or cause trouble?

Thanks in advance of course!
Josh

Attached Images   
Old 08-18-19, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
By extractor, I'm thinking you're referring to the exhaust pipe between the muffler and cylinder head? You can modify those within reason without affecting engine operation in any noticeable way as long as you don't restrict them or make any harsh bends.

Old 08-19-19, 01:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I put a Honda GX630 in my Gator and modified the Deere exhaust to work with the Honda without any problem. I just used common sense like Cheese mentioned with no sharp bends and no restrictions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: