Reinstalling auger assembly in Noma (Murray) snowblower after replacing impeller


  #1  
Old 08-21-19, 02:43 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Reinstalling auger assembly in Noma (Murray) snowblower after replacing impeller

I have a Noma 5/24 snowblower made by Murray model G2450-000. I got this machine recently from a neighbor and had to replace the impeller assembly as the original had a bent shaft which caused the drive pulley to wobble excessively. I managed to get the auger drive pulley off with the help of a Harbor Freight automotive wheel puller after drilling 2 1/4" holes on either side of the hub. Afterwards I used a bearing puller to get the auger housing bearing off the shaft after removing the bearing retainer. Now I am getting ready to reassemble the auger gearbox with new 00 grease and reinstall the assembly in the housing going through the bearing (the very common 6203-2RS). I have purchased a brand new bearing although the original still seems good. Now the question is how to get the new (used) impeller shaft to go through the bearing as it seems to be a tight interference fit. Obviously I don't want to break anything as these are expensive parts. I found an old thread on this site which mentioned using anti-seize compound which I have on order. It would be nice if I could put the impeller assembly in a deep freezer and put the bearing in an oven to make things go together easier but I don't have that capability. Perhaps someone else has solved this problem as many Murray/Noma/Craftsman machines use similar auger drive trains.
 
  #2  
Old 08-23-19, 11:57 AM
M
Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Iowa!!!!!
Posts: 4,229
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
If the bearing is sealed with grease in it, don't heat the bearing and dropping the temperature on the steel shaft isn't going to do a lot of good.

The best thing to do is use an emery cloth and polish the shaft, then lube it a little. Just about any paste grease will work, although an anti-seize may help to remove the bearing later if you need to.

The thing to be careful of is driving the bearing on a shaft backed against the gear box. You could do some damage to the box.
 
  #3  
Old 08-24-19, 01:03 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will clean off the shaft and possibly polish it a bit with emery cloth but I don't want to risk getting it out of round. However I can do the same with the inside of the bearing and I am more comfortable working with that as it is a relatively inexpensive part. I also have Permatex anti-seize lubricant which I plan to use as I have seen in one video on YouTube. I got the gasket, the 00 grease, and the Permatex lubricant yesterday so I will be trying this out within the next few days.
 
  #4  
Old 08-26-19, 07:29 AM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I got the auger gearbox back together and got the snowblower reassembled without difficulty. That Permatex anti-seize did its job and the impeller shaft slid through the inner bearing race without difficulty. I installed a new bearing (6203-2RS) as I did not know how long the old one had been in the machine or if it had been damaged due to the bent impeller shaft. Now the auger drive pulley runs true so I don't have to worry about excessive wear or throwing the drive belt. The only issue I have now is that the brake pad (581540ma) makes a loud scraping noise when I release the auger drive handle. I am ordering a replacement along with a new drive belt (585417ma) as the old one is stretched almost to the end of its adjustment range. I will update this thread until the machine is 100 per cent fixed.
 
  #5  
Old 09-03-19, 02:12 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I got the new brake pad and new belts (I decided to replace the wheel drive belt too while I had the machine apart) and installed them and the snowblower is working as it should. The brake pad was worn to half its original width at the bottom so it couldn't make proper contact with the inside of the pulley to stop the auger quickly when I took my hand off the auger drive lever. The Permatex lubricant is a must it makes it easy to take things apart if you need to without using excessive force. I suspect that someone tried to get the auger pulley off and bent the shaft by striking it with a hammer. I hope someone else can benefit from my experience as there are still a lot of Craftsman/Murray/Noma machines out there although Murray has been out of business for some time.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: