echo string trimmer/wasted line

Old 08-25-19, 04:14 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
echo string trimmer/wasted line

Hi all,

I have a new Echo 21.2 cc string trimmer that I got for clearing hiking trail in our area. In my first two trips out, it stopped feeding line with 8' and 12' feet of trimmer line remaining in the 'speed-feed' head. Is there a trick to getting this thing to feed out out the last few feet? I'd rather not waste a third or a quarter of the line I buy.

When it stopped feeding line out I was able to disassemble and rethread it, but only for another foot or so. It flat out refused after that.

Thanks,

Clueless

Old 08-25-19, 04:36 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
My experiences anyway, the string melts to itself enough to prevent it from feeding, and you'll see that as you unspool it, sort of sticking to itself like licorice left in a hot car. Since you said new I'm guessing you mean this year, so probably not from setting on the spool too long, but a couple other culprits can be leaving it set in the sun for extended periods of time or not wrapping it tight enough so that it's constantly rubbing against itself.

dontpanic voted this post useful.
Old 08-25-19, 04:40 PM
D
Definitely not sitting around, we're clearing trail by the mile. The string was wrapped same day as used. As to not wrapping tightly enough, I'm using the speed feed head to do the wrapping.

Old 08-26-19, 05:08 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Your trimmer head may not have sufficient drag on the line as it's loading. As you turn the speed feed to load try letting the both sides of the line drag through your fingers. See if that helps.

Old 08-26-19, 07:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Check the manual for how to load, my Echo trimmer goes to the very end of the loaded material and has never stuck or melted to anything!

I'll bet it's not being wound correctly!

Old 08-27-19, 04:41 AM
D
I'll try increasing the drag when I load. For some reason the manual doesn't seem to have a page on loading.

Old 08-27-19, 06:07 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Reviews on the head say the instructions are lacking. Loading it is pretty simple, though - align the marks, stick the line through the head, and turn the knob. Not much to it.

Old 08-27-19, 10:40 AM
C
Received 15 Upvotes on 14 Posts
String type

I assume you are using the correct diameter of string?

Old 08-27-19, 06:25 PM
D
Yes on correct diameter (94 mil) and yes on simplicity of loading. Except next time I'll try pulling a little tension on the line while doing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: