Gas trimmer wants to stall when pulling throttle trigger

Old 08-31-19, 01:41 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Gas trimmer wants to stall when pulling throttle trigger

Gas Trimmer
Craftsman 316 711022

Sometimes (50%) when I pull the throttle trigger the trimmer seems like it wants to stall out. Something like it is being bogged down. This does not always happen though. It will start as normal, run as normal on full throttle but then all of a sudden as I have the throttle trigger in it just seems like it wants to stall out. If I release the throttle trigger it continues to idle fine. If I pull on the throttle trigger it wants to stall. This happens a few times and it finally stalls on me. This can be happening and then all of a sudden it revs up nicely to where I can continue using it. Sometimes it just stalls out.

I know the gas/oil mixture is correct. 40:1
Formula - 128 oz of gas / 40 becomes 3.2 oz of oil to one gallon of gas.

I don't think this is model specific this problem, I would think it is a general problem that can happen to other gas trimmers.

I am aware of the "L" and "H" adjustments. Does not seem to help adjusting the "H". As I said it will run fine for some time and then all of a sudden start to bog down again as I am running it. Timing sequence of when it runs fine and starts to bog down again is not the same each time as it is running. Runs good and then bogs - again a few seconds later runs good and then bogs.

Some clues would be appreciated. I don't know much at all about small engines as I am an electrician.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-19, 01:58 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
seems like a fuel problem would look at all your fuel lines and check fuel filter even a small crack is enough to lean it out, would also probably re adjust carb, if the low side is in a little to far it will cause a stumble when you apply throttle so may try giving it a little more fuel on the l and h and see how it does if it still has issues would probably look at a new carb.

Old 08-31-19, 05:45 PM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
Give it up, what is the brand?

Old 09-01-19, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Just buy carb adjustment tools.. every gas mix you make is different. You nneed to adjust the secondary adjustment.

I have these
https://www.amazon.com/TOPEMAI-Carbu...88589215&psc=1

adjust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhxTvGRtCg

Old 09-03-19, 02:25 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Sorry for the delay in my response. Was busy over the holiday weekend.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

lawrosa: Yes, I am aware that the gas oil mixture may be a bit different each time I put gas/oil mixture in my can and then fill my trimmer with the can already mixed with the oil/gas. I do have the carb adjustment tools as I have been attempting to adjust the "H" side which was not helping as I stated in my first post. Would run fine for a while and then bog again. I watched the youtube vid you linked to. Another vid which gives some good ideas on adjusting. But again, adjusting the "L" or "H" really does not eliminate my problem as it happens while I am running the trimmer. I will hold in the trigger and it runs fine for about 45 seconds to 90 seconds and then all of a sudden start to bog again even if I don't release the trigger. Then while still holding the trigger it starts to run fine again.

Marq1: I specified the brand and model in my first post.
Gas Trimmer
Craftsman 316 711022

alan73: I am starting to think that it may be the fuel line or filter. But probably the fuel line. It looks kind of worn and old. Its an old trimmer and I realize now that you mention it that there may be a very small crack in the fuel line which may be causing this issue. If not the fuel line itself then maybe the fuel filter. A crack in the fuel line would be difficult to see. I guess if there is a fuel leak it would be sucking air or not feeding fuel here and there which is causing it to bog down while running it. Here is a list of parts for this model. What parts do you suggest I get with the thought that it is a fuel leak either fuel line or filter. Parts are not that expensive so I can get parts for both but I just don't know exactly which parts I need in all. I see there is a parts explosion diagram but even looking at that I would not know what parts to order like if there were O rings needed etc. Do you think I should just go ahead and order a new carb also? May be a minimum order amount for free shipping etc.

Old 09-03-19, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you go for the carburetor, check ebay first. There is usually a carb, filter, lines, and mounting gaskets in a kit. That saves you from shopping for the individual parts and getting hit for multiple shipping charges.

Old 09-04-19, 02:02 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
also seen them on amazon with carb and gas lines and filter but if you just want to try the fuel lines and filter first, would just stop by a small engine repair shop they should have fuel line and fuel filters, you could also find them online in an assortment usually several feet of tygon fuel line in different sizes, should be enough to replace gas lines on several 2 stroke engines.