Generac 4000XL

Old 09-06-19, 06:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generac 4000XL

I have the same Generator GENERAC 4000XL with the SAME problem STARTS BUT NO POWER.. HELP did you get it to work?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-19, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 241 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing you posted on the end of an older thread and your post was moved to its own thread.

The generator runs but no AC output. Did you check all the receptacles using a meter ?
If the generator hasn't been used in a long time it may have lost its magnetism.
The following link shows an easy way to fix that problem.
Flashing a generator field.

Old 09-08-19, 06:58 PM
Thank you I am 62 disable I will try this , It may take me a while to get back to you But I Appreciate your Help ..

Old 09-09-19, 08:22 PM
Did not work..... Its is the Truth the Devil must know I am 62 and heaven bound because he is breaking one thing before I can fix another before it..... I even took off the cover to the electronic panel and back of Generator nothing looks burn, I noticed one small white "4 wire" female plug on top, that looks to plug into some small 2by2 gizmo on the back of the top round Generator itself after I removed the metal cover plate was off so I pulled it in ...NOTHING STILL NO POWER....For the life of me I cannot figure how some thing that worked 2 yrs ago just stopped working while not in use...………..

Old 09-10-19, 04:50 AM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
The generator control has 2 wires going to the open end of the generator. These 2 wires provide the DC excitation via brushes to the rotor. These connections usually use a friction spade connector and if one becomes disconnected the generator will have no output. Unfortunately the area for the brushes is seldom easily accessible. Do you have a generator manual with a wiring diagram/schematic and can you use a multimeter? A continuity check can tell if the excitation circuit (includes brushes) is in tact (schematic I looked at has one of the wires going to the brushes marked #4). A DC voltage check (generator running) can tell if the rotor is being excited.