Briggs 4.5 engine drinks oil

Old 09-20-19, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Briggs 4.5 engine drinks oil

I picked up a free mower from Craigslist that "Won't run".
Briggs 4.5hp - 10H902-0216-E1 code - 05070154
So I started checking, first it had no oil so I put oil in it, removed the air filter and noticed the carb throat was black from oil, so I sprayed a shot of brake parts cleaner down the intake tube of the carb and gave the rope a pull it fired up and screamed, the throttle linkage was bent which is what people do when a diaphragm starts to go bad to compensate for the surging, I replaced the diaphragm and set the rpm to about 3000. I checked the compression and it had a little over 120lb so I filled the fuel tank up and fired it up and it smoked like it had been tipped or overfilled on oil so I decided to let it set and clear itself well it finally quit and never cleared up there was still a little as in it but the oil was all gone, the engine was not frozen. I have picked up at least a hundred "Won't run" mowers and have never had a engine with compression use that much oil that quick, there are no leaks on the engine anywhere. I need some shadetree ideas to address the oil usage problem, I can always set it aside and use it for parts. Have a good one. Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-19, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
The high compression reading was probably because there was so much oil in the combustion chamber, it took up much of the available space and gave a false reading. Also that oil helps seal the cylinder for the split second it takes for the reading. Sometimes you get so much oil in a cylinder that the compression is too high for the engine to even turn over. That's my guess. A quick pull of the head will almost surely reveal a heavily scored cylinder wall.

marbobj voted this post useful.