Craftsman Trac-Drive Snow Blower-- Convert to Wheels?

Old 10-05-19, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Trac-Drive Snow Blower-- Convert to Wheels?

Somewhere I read that it is simple to convert from the Trac Drive to just 2 wheels. Can anyone give me more information about doing this? This is a Craftsman 8/25, not sure of the year. Where would I find the wheels?

Also, is it possible to transport this kind of thing in a minivan--the whole machine?

Attached Images  

Last edited by GaryMN; 10-05-19 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-19, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
If there is a single shaft/axel coming out of the machine to the tracks then all you should need to do it pull the tracks and install the wheels.

For wheels, I would look on craigslist to find a part machine or look at Harbor Freight, Fleet farm, Tractor Supply, Runnings, Northern Tool, or L and M Fleet.

If it fits in the minivan you should have no problem hauling it.

Why do you want to get rid of the tracks? Is this machine new to you?

Old 10-06-19, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
From the pic you show, the location of where wheels would go has a chain drive sprocket on it.
If you check to see what the ratio of that sprocket is in relation to the drive sprocket you would get an idea if the machine has the correct drive shaft speed for wheels.

Also, you would need to see if the drive shaft has a way of fitting and fastening wheels.
It might be that you would have to buy a drive shaft for wheels if that model has a wheeled version available.
Or, sell it and buy a wheeled one.

What makes you want it to be wheeled rather than tracked?

Old 10-06-19, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

I have seen a couple of references to tracs as not being maneuverable unless the engine is running; also rust corroding the axles. I need maximum maneuverability because I have only a small space in the garage to house this; it will be very cramped. I am certainly interested in peoples' experiences with these Craftsman Trac Drives.

Old 10-06-19, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
It sounds like you are basing the problem with tracks on what you have read, not experience.
There is a trade-off with everything.
With tracks you get better traction than with wheels that commonly need chains to prevent wheel spinning.

I would suggest you try it before considering changing anything.
Driving it onto a Crazy Carpet and dragging it in the garage or onto a little dolly when storing.
Wheels are not really that manuverable and snowblowers with them still need to be manhandled in tight spaces.
The most manuverable snow blower I've owned was a hydrostatic drive one with trigger controls on each handle for tight turning.

Old 10-06-19, 10:01 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Get a moving dolly at HF. Park the snowblower on the moving dolly and push it anywhere.

Old 10-06-19, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
I agree with Greg. I would give it a try before reinventing the wheel (pun intended)

My wheeled blower is about the same size and it takes some effort to spin it around as the wheel are locked together for traction. You can move a pin on the axle for easy maneuverability but I only do that at the end of the season for storage.

Old 10-06-19, 07:12 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would sure try the tracks before switching. I KNOW a track drive would make doing MY driveway an easier job with the Snow Commander I have to do a LOT of pushing to get thru the heavy stuff!