DEK 14hp chipper shredder

Old 10-10-19, 11:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DEK 14hp chipper shredder

I bought this used as it seemed a good deal. I knew it needed a new gas tank as it was rusted on the inside. So I replaced it, along with a pull cord assembly, and a new carb. It started and ran for like 3 seconds or so when sprayed with starting fluid, then dies and won't start again. I played around with it for about 30 minutes or so and got that same result a couple times. It would fire, but only run for a few seconds and then die and not do anything. I removed the spark plug (brand new) and checked for spark and there was, at least at the time I checked it.
Is it possible that the on off switch is only working sporadically causing it to cut off?
It does have spark on the pull with a new plug. New gas, new carb. It does have oil in engine but looks like it could be a little overfilled. I will recheck today.
All I've done so far is change the spark plug and the fuel filter and had no luck. Should the fuel filter be full of fuel? There is only a very small amount of fuel visible inside the filter. I thought there should be more.

I thought I would ask here where I should start before I start buying parts. I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump, ignition control module, or the carb.

Old 10-10-19, 12:23 PM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
Yes the fuel filter should be full.

There is usually a screen filter on the end of the fuel line in the gas tank.
Not sure if this unit has this but it would be worth while checking.

Old 10-10-19, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
What does it have for an engine?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: