Ariens Sno-Tek 28 snowblower leaking gas

Old 10-17-19, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ariens Sno-Tek 28 snowblower leaking gas

I acquired this new snow blower and am now getting it ready for winter use. It was won by someone who didn't need it and it has sat new and unused for a few years. The gas tank had never seen a drop and was pristine. I changed the oil anyway and gassed it up, and went through the instructed procedure for pull starting, and it would not start. I plugged in the electric start and hit the button, it runs over fully and immediately but still wouldn't start. As it had never been started before i wondered if the lines and carb were still too empty and hit the primer one more time, and saw that has was leaking, in a steady dripping fashion. At this point i can't see where because a large cowl will need to be removed. From underneath i ensured the carb drain was tight. The leak is coming off the carb and surrounding cables but i can't see the source.

At first I thought maybe the carb was just flooded and set up a catch for the dripping, but i i came back and the can was full and the gas still dripping. Far more than the carbs capacity.

I'll have more time me later and will get the cowl off for a better look, but thought I would see if anyone here has a thought. Being unused and in show floor condition I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Name:  sb.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  109.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-18-19 at 12:27 PM. Reason: imported picture/added arrow
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-19, 12:42 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
A loose hose, a broken connector, a leaking primer bulb?

Anything is possible, but the good news is it's severe enough it should be easy to find, once you get all the tin off!

Old 10-17-19, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Before you start taking it apart smack the carb bowl with a screwdriver handle or something a few times maybe the float is stuck from never being used. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-17-19, 05:15 PM
Plan on changing the oil again before you run it. You likely have gas in it.

Old 10-18-19, 09:23 AM
Are there any service manual gurus. It's not immediately clear how to get this cowl off and if i can avoid an hour of experimenting that would be ideal. It's a storm force 208cc. I'll get a pic of the sticker/serial if needed

Old 10-18-19, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
It looks like the panel where I put the arrow opens.

Old 10-18-19, 02:17 PM
Yes, that is what I need off, and on the top it even has a little handle welded on like it's a lid... But it doesn't come off, and if I just remove the bolts it will still be held on by the choke and primer and killswitches, etc. So rather than risk roughing it off by mistake i wonder if there is a specific procedure. I found the operator manual but cowl removal wasn't in it. Regardless I'm going back to take another look at it in an hour or so so I'll see what might be evident.

​​​​​
​​​​

Old 10-18-19, 02:37 PM
On a whim i called the number on the Ariens operator manual and an actual person immediately answered the phone. Even with being transferred and describing what i want to do twice the whole call was hardly 5 minutes, they were very friendly and quite helpful impressive.
anyway, this model has an available operator manual and a parts catalogue, no service manual. Probably because the blower is Ariens but the motor is LCT.

Old 10-18-19, 04:05 PM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Seldom will you find a comprehensive service manual for something lie this, if that's indeed what you're looking for, but a parts manual would help identify what comes apart and where.

Old 10-18-19, 07:19 PM
With everything apart the cause may not be obvious.

Probably a stuck float which is common. As Geo suggested tap on the bottom of the carburetor to shake it loose. Then check for oil overfill from gas and change it if that's the case.

Old 10-19-19, 11:27 AM
Sitting for a long time could be multiple things iv seen primer bulbs dry rot and split may have cracks in fuel lines possible a mouse chewed a hole thru one if float is stuck I could drain entire tank if there is no shut off or shut off leaks by

Old 10-21-19, 05:41 PM
Ok, i got it apart and it was the carb all funked and closed. It may have not been run previously but it had some gas put in and the cup was brown and gross. Anyway, i rebuilt the carb and it passed a pressures test fine. Put it together and it started up on one pull (after 5 pulls before i remembered to reconnect the spark).
Case closed. Thanks to all who helped.