Walbro WT-324 Carb questions

Old 10-23-19, 04:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walbro WT-324 Carb questions

I've installed new fuel lines, fuel filter & spark plug on a Poulan 16" chainsaw Woodsman Series/Super Clean (21 cc) and had the thing running yesterday on its own. Today, I couldn't keep it running. Starts just fine - even runs upto 20 seconds but eventually stalls out like it's fuel starved. I've tried different Choke settings and pumping the throttle but nothing keeps it running.
I'd like to do a carb rebuild but am having problems matching part numbers. So far I've confirmed its a Walbro WT-324 carb and while looking at it today I found some additional info: A7 above the numbers 1324.
On left lower front, once the air cleaner cover is removed is stamped "2".

What I find when I look for parts is that there were seven different types of this Poulan model (Type 1,2...,7) and I'm wondering if the stamped "2" on the pot-metal carb is that it's a Type 2 carb. The chainsaw is about 22 yrs. old.
This was purchased as a 'Factory Reconditioned' unit and they put the new serial # sticker "RN97099319" over the Original "YP104208248 A EM" (So, I'm not entirely sure what number the first "4" is; but that's my best guess)

Thanks for your help.
greynold99

Old 10-23-19, 06:23 PM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Likely if you go the carb kit route a kit for the Walbro WT-324 will have everything you need. You just have to match the gaskets and diaphragms. There will be extras.

Or you can buy a carb with accessories for about the same price as a kit. But it will be a replacement, not a Walbro.

You problem is most likely from the two diaphragms, the reservoir and pump being old and stiff. Ethanol makes makes it worse and quicker. Running the carb dry at seasons end helps, but in terms of ethanol, just don't use it.

Old 10-25-19, 07:44 AM
G
Thanks marbobj...
I went ahead and ordered a carb rebuild kit with the numbers I had as you suggested; and given the relatively low cost of a carb, ordered one of those too. There was an engineering change with the carb where the 'fuel return line' tube from the carb was moved to the other side of the carb where the throttle-control linkage is. But I found one that had a review indicating it fit on a Poulan Woodsman chainsaw.

Anyway, I thought I should look at the carb Adjustment screws - there are (2) that are side by side and labeled 'H' and 'L'. The one labeled 'L' was set at max. counterclockwise limit (there's a little piece of plastic on the screw that limits how far you can unscrew it) - and when I turned it in just a 1/8th of a turn clockwise - the chainsaw ran better but still not perfect and eventually it quit running on me.
Also, I'm getting more smoke in the exhaust than I remember - and I was careful to use the measured amount of Oil to Gas to get the 40:1 mix ratio.

So, I'm going to keep working on that and look for some Internet articles on adjusting the carb to make sure I'm doing it right.
Thanks again,
greynold99

Old 10-25-19, 11:28 AM
T
Received 38 Votes on 35 Posts
If you haven't found it already.....

https://www.walbro.com/wp-content/up...1/WTseries.pdf

Excellent info..

Old 10-31-19, 03:17 PM
G
Thanks Tumble,
I hadn't come across that document and you're right about the content.

While waiting for my rebuild kit & carb to arrive, it finally refused to start at all.
At which point I removed the top cover and found the limiter-screws were built into the plastic-cover for the H & L screws. Once I pried that off, I could tighten the screws down to contact point... but I think I need to do the carb rebuild to get fresh diaphram & gaskets in place.

In the meantime our local Rural King farm supply store had a 20" Blue Max chainsaw on sale for about $100 bucks - so, I picked one of those up and took care of some fallen dead Ash trees that I needed to get moved. Last few years we got hit hard by the Emerald Ash borer which killed almost all the Ash trees in our region.
Anyway, the Blue Max chainsaws are Chinese imports which have gotten fair reviews as a backup chainsaw but like the Huskee line of gas push mowers, they don't have a priming bulb. It started easy enough and ran fine for what I needed.

I'll let you know how the Poulan carb rebuild or carb replacement goes.
greynold99

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: