20amp fuse blows on my Husqvarna YTH21K46 mower when trying to start

Old 10-24-19, 01:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
20amp fuse blows on my Husqvarna YTH21K46 mower when trying to start

Tried starting mower and it turned over and didn't have enough battery power. Put new battery in poor lighting and momentarily shorted the hot side of battery. I tried starting mower and starter made a whirring noise and did not engage-20amp fuse blew. Put new fuse in and same results happened. I am mechanically inclined at 78 years old.

Old 10-24-19, 02:59 PM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Make sure the key is in the off position. Then go to the starter solenoid and disconnect any small wires from their connections. Then jump from the battery connection on the solenoid to the other side that leads to the starter. If that spins and engages the starter, you probably have a bad solenoid.

Old 10-25-19, 07:16 AM
B
Received 113 Votes on 99 Posts
One or more of the electrical loads or the wire(s) supplying power from the 20 A fuse to the loads is shorted to ground. With the battery disconnected, place an ohmmeter between the input side of the 20 A fuse and ground. It should indicate continuity. Using a schematic for the tractor or following the positive wire(s) from the 20 A fuse disconnect each load, one at a time. After each disconnect, check the ohmmeter reading. If it still shows continuity, verify the section of wire supplying power to the load is not shorting to ground before going to the next load. Eventually you will discover the load or power source wire section causing the short and the ohmmeter will indicate an open. Replace load and/or fix the wire. While watching the ohmmeter, reconnect each disconnected load and verify no continuity. If there is continuity, the load need replacement. Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-19, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 56 Votes on 51 Posts
I use a similar process as described above, but instead of an ohmmeter, I like to put a new fuse in with the negative battery cable disconnected and then connect a 12v test light between the neg terminal of the battery and the cable. It will make things easier as far as checking goes because it will stay lit as long as there is a short. Once you disconnect the short or load, the light will go out. Start by disconnecting the carburetor solenoid because it will cause the light or ohmmeter to indicate a load with the key on, as it should.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: