Toro Bad gas n- Bad service

Old 10-25-19, 05:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toro Bad gas n- Bad service

Took my 10 yr old Toro recycler walk behind to the hardware store I bought it from for a tune up oil change, etc. Paid $60 for the job. First cut, no problem. Small residential lawn. FYI the mower was delivered to my house almost empty of gas. I filled problems that cheap enthynol enhanced gas causes. 2nd cut, the mower kept cutting out. Would no run more that 10 or 20 seconds Took mower back hardware store. Tech grilled me about the gas.Did you get new gas..When did you get it...Did you leave it outside? Told him I know about bad gas and furthermore I use the same gas can on my beat up older back up Toro Got a call tonight that I could pick up my for Another $60.
Is this right? My fault that I didn't as for specifics when I left the mower, but he just tuned it and it lasted 1 cut. I'm sure I can't expect anything from the gasoline station . How sensitive are these engines to moisture? Would you pay the $60. I may just walk away and tell him to keep it. I've bought 3 Toro Mowers, A Toro snow blower,and 3 sump pumps and more. Thoughts??

Old 10-25-19, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Talk to owner of store. I don't think he wants to lose you as a customer.

Old 10-25-19, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
I don't know what engine you have but if it's one of the newer briggs engines with the plastic carb, they are very very sensitive to ethanol fuel and any debris or moisture.

Old 10-26-19, 07:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help I appreciate your advice

Old 10-26-19, 07:45 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Tech grilled me about the gas.Did you get new gas..When did you get it...Did you leave it outside?

You didnt really answer the question, how old was the gas?

Sensitive, sure, all, and I mean all equipment, is sensitive to the ravages of ethanol laced fuel, but that frame is in the ball park of 6 months old, anything less is going to be fine!

After 40 years of lawn equipment, old cars, motorcycles, generators, etc, the only action I now take is adding a dose of gas stabilizer to anything that will sit over the winter.

Everything fires right up in the spring!

So back to your post, what exactly are they doing the second time than what they did originally?

Old 10-26-19, 08:49 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
If it was bad gas then how did it run OK on the first use?
Does not make sense to me.

During the first cut did you shut it off and restart it?
If yes did it re-start no problem.

Briggs use to make good stuff but now a lot of what they make is crap and this seems to be the norm for a lot of manuafacturers!!!

I have a Toro with a Kohler engine lawnmower.
If it sits for a couple weeks without use it is impossible to start.
You can pull your guts out and it does not even misfire,
I keep a small spray bottle with gas in it, take the breather/filter off, open the choke and give it a couple squirts.
Starts on the first pull.
I miss the days when there were manual chokes and primer bulbs on engines.

Old 10-26-19, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 725 Posts
My comment would be that $60 is about the lowest price you could possibly expect to pay so don't think they are overcharging you.

But I think you should expect a receipt when you pick it up, detailing what they did, what parts were used, and how much is parts and how much is labor.

Example: Cleaned and gapped spark plug, checked compression, carb kit (gaskets) changed oil 1 qt. Parts: $30 plus (.5 hrs) $30 labor = $60.

Old 10-26-19, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
I will add that at my shop, if I clean a carburetor and someone takes it home and uses it one time and it messes back up again, they get it fixed under warranty at that point unless I have reason to believe they did something to cause the problem. There have been cases where I told the customer they need to check their gas can because there was water in the carb or something like that and then if it comes back with water again, no warranty, but I generally give my customers the benefit of the doubt. It's just good business.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: