Too much compression???

Old 11-17-19, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too much compression???

i have a Ryobi 3100 psi pressure washer... when i try to pull the starter cord i can only pull it anout halfway and it "locks" up. I can then pull it the rest of the way, but not enough to start it. It feels like there is too much engine compression... with the plug out it pulls freely.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-19, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hold the trigger on the wand while you pull rope to relieve some of the pressure. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-17-19, 04:59 PM
Had one with pretty much same problems. Took the pump off and found out the aluminum innerds had corroded. Pump was not rebuild-able as the corrosion was too far along. Replaced with a new pump and the "high compression" feeling was gone. I now use a pump saver chemical when storing.

Your plug out/pulls freely is kinda strange, which maybe indicates a diff problem than the pump. If Geo's tip doesn't work, I'd pull the pump and try starting it w/o it and see what you get with that in order to narrow it down to the engine vs pump.

Old 11-17-19, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Is there oil all over the plug?

Since it pulls easily with the plug out, that narrows it down to the engine, not the pump. Leave the pump intact.

Old 11-17-19, 09:25 PM
Of course, the added resistance of the compression stroke could cause that feeling as described with a corroded pump which is why I suggested pulling he pump. It only take me 5 minutes to do that so not sure why I would avoid it as a diagnostic tool.

Old 11-18-19, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
If the starter cord can be pulled with the spark plug removed I would suspect the engine. Possibly oil or gas in the cylinder hydo-locking it. Removing the spark plug and pulling the cord to blow out the cylinder should clear much of it.

Old 11-18-19, 06:29 AM
Tried

Ok.. no, there is no oil on the plug... pulled it about 50 times with the plug out.. nothing comes out of the engine...also.. no change if i squeeze the handle on the wand

Last edited by KellyJ69; 11-18-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-18-19, 08:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd check valve clearances then.

Old 11-23-19, 03:07 PM
Uncovered....

Ok, so i removed the valve cover and the exhaust valve rocker arm has about 1/8 INCH gap... and there's not enough adjustment screw to get it to where it needs to be... i can't figure out how to upload a picture of it here...

Old 11-23-19, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
With too much lash on the exhaust valve, the compression release won't work. If you can't bring it to specs, sounds like a cam problem.

Old 11-23-19, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not enough adjustment to close the gap 1/8"? is there a set screw down in the center of the rocker arm adjustment nut? Check the rocker arm, it may be cracked at the hole where it mounts on the stud. Seen that happen a few times.

Old 11-24-19, 07:36 AM
Found it

Ok.. so the rocker arm is broken... has a "tear" about a third way across it... which explains the gap
shouldn't i be able to "compress" the valve by hand?? It won't budge..

Old 11-24-19, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should. Sounds like it's stuck. Get a can of gumout carburetor cleaner and a can of PBlaster and use the carb cleaner and some light taps with a block of wood directly in line with the valve and tap it down. Work it a fe times to allow the carb cleaner to cut the varnish in the valve guide and once it's moving freely, lube it with the PBlaster and work that a bit, replace the cracked rocker arm, and put it together again.