Toro snow blower tecumseh coil

Old 11-27-19, 05:23 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toro snow blower tecumseh coil

I'm not getting a spark, tried new plug, checked key switch, tested coil with ohm meter. Coil is reading 6.8K from spark plug wire to both ground and to points wire. Zero resistance between ground and points wire. From what I read it should be between 2-5K between spark plug wire and ground. I ordered a new coil from Amazon and the readings are zero between ground and points wire and 8.5K between spark plug wire and ground. Is the new coil bad? I haven't installed yet.
Thanks

Old 11-27-19, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,604 Votes on 1,478 Posts
When you check from the spark plug wire to the metal frame you should measure around 10Kohms. The exact value is not important. You could measure from 6k to 12k. You are basically checking for an open coil.

When you check from the points connection to the metal frame you should measure around 1-2 ohms. Here again you are basically checking for an open coil.

Those coils rarely short. A typical problem is the coil opens.

Old 11-28-19, 05:45 AM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
You have the points/condenser ignition, then? That would be an older engine - Pre 1986 or there abouts. If so you need to check the points/condenser.

You can replace the old style with a module which is pretty much a self contained ignition + the flywheel. It would just have the kill wire and ground.

Old 11-28-19, 06:34 AM
B
Received 113 Votes on 99 Posts
Do you have a electronic or breaker points ignition system on the engine?

Old 11-28-19, 08:40 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a points ignition system.

Old 11-28-19, 04:09 PM
B
Disconnect condenser from points and check for spark at the grounded spark plug. If spark, replace condenser. If no spark, verify wire from points to coil has no short to ground. If OK, verify point gap is correct as piston nears TDC in the run rotation. If correct point gap doesn't result in spark, check that the flywheel has not rotated on the crankshaft. The flywheel will need to be removed to check the key condition. Replace key if it has an offset. Verify gap between magnet on flywheel and coil armature is correct. These steps should result in a spark unless one of the new parts installed earlier is defective. Reconnect condenser to points. Remember the magnet in the flywheel have to rotate past the coil armature with enough speed to create a voltage in the primary winding of the coil.

Old 11-28-19, 04:36 PM
M
with a set of points n the circuit I would clean them first. but if you find the coil to be at fault I would replace it with a module and either disconnect or remove the points/condenser entirely.

Old 11-30-19, 04:09 AM
B
Marbobj, you state in post 3 to change the flywheel when switching points with electronic ignition but not in post 7. Was this an oversight? Can a brand X electronic module be used with a brand Y flywheel? I have never done this so I don't know. I do know the electronic module needs current flowing in the primary coil before the module interrupts this current to create a spark via the coil secondary when the piston is in the correct position.

Old 11-30-19, 04:29 AM
M
You just swap the module for the coil and leave out the points/condenser. Keep the flywheel.

Sorry for the confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: