Husqvarna 55 Rancher Won't Start

Old 12-04-19, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Won't Start

My Husky 55 has always been a difficult starter, but once running it works fine...until it runs out of gas. Then, after a refill, it absolutely refuses to start. After it sits around for a day or two, then I can get it started again (with difficulty!). In the past I've always tried to add gas before it runs dry; today I forgot and same problem.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what this problem is & how to fix?
(And I know, I should have worked this problem long ago.)
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-19, 11:48 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, ya know, you should've worked on this problem long ago . The fuel pump diaphragm is likely stiff and needs replacing. If you go that route, I would use a complete kit with all new gaskets and both diaphragms - the other is for the reservoir.

Considering cost of the kit and having to clean up everything, a lot of guys just replace the carb which seems to get the job done,.

Aside from all this other things can be air leaks at the crank seals, leaking intake manifold gaskets, or plugged crank port to fuel pump, or weak ignition.

I would start with the carb.

cheese voted this post useful.
Old 12-05-19, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply. I haven't had much luck in the past when fiddling with carbs on small engines - no less completly replacing one. But, I'm gonna look into it. Thanks again.

Old 12-05-19, 08:22 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
When you get around to working on it, take a look a the fuel lines. They often get brittle and leak air. Carb work is a good time to replace those. Good luck!!