MTD snowblower auger slipping in heavy snow but impellers work great

Old 12-04-19, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MTD snowblower auger slipping in heavy snow but impellers work great

Hi folks,
I have a 1992 vintage MTD 314-610E 5 HP snow blower that has worked great for 27 years. Just this weekend after a heavy wet snow did I discover that the auger will quit spinning after I get into some heavy snow. Yet the impellers keep in spinner with full force. When this happens, I have to bang and front up and down to dislodge the snow and the augers starts spinning again.

I got the driveway cleaned up by going very slow and taking small bites. I tried adjusting the tension on the auger cable but that didn't seem to help. With the engine off, I turned the auger by hand and it, the shaft, and the impellers all move in sync. But if I turn it the opposite direction, it will slip. The shear pins are in place and fine.

Is the gearbox going bad that is between the augers? I have no way of knowing if the shaft is spinning when the auger quits turning as I am not going to stick anything in the front and risk it should the augers start to turn again. I have not changed the belt. Or are there two belts? One for the impellers and one for the auger? I'll remove the cover and check the belts tomorrow.

Other suggestions as to what to look for?

Thanks
Dave in Pierre, SD

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-19, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Is the gearbox going bad that is between the augers?
Sure sounds like it. There is only one belt for the impeller and the auger.

Pull off the spark plug wire. Using a glove..... try turning the augers.
If they are both locked and won't turn.... the shear pins are good and the gearbox is shot.

Momina Azfar voted this post useful.
Old 12-05-19, 06:34 AM
I did that. I can turn the augers but it also turns the shaft and the impellers. It feels good and solid when I pull down on the auger as if it normally runs. If I pull up on the auger, then I feel 'skipping' and the shaft quits turning and will then catch again. But I'll go out and check it out again just to make sure.
Thanks!

Old 12-05-19, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
If you turn the auger and feel "skipping" your probably feeling worn or missing teeth in the gearbox.

Old 12-05-19, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
I can turn the augers but it also turns the shaft and the impellers.
Can't be.

That's a worm drive. Turning the auger can't turn the impeller shaft.
The auger axle is at a right angle to the drive axle.

Name:  gb.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  31.3 KB

This would be a similar replacement for your complete gearbox.
There are places that do sell internal parts too for complete rebuilding.
Similar gearbox assmbly

Old 12-05-19, 08:36 PM
Well, it does. I would take a video and post it but I have taken it apart, or trying to, which will lead to my next post.

Old 12-05-19, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Does it look like the pictures I posted ?

Old 12-05-19, 09:15 PM
Yes it does. At least I assume it will when I get it taken apart. I have the auger housing separated from the back of the blower. Everything is loose and I am trying to pull the auger/impeller assembly out. It appears the bearing won't come through the housing. It looks like the housing is tapered and there is no way the bearing is coming out that way. Is the bearing supposed to stay in place and the shaft slide through it? If so, I'll have to get a sacrificial nut to put into the shaft so I have something to strike to try to force the shaft through the bearing. Is this the correct way or am i missing something? Once out, then I will disassemble the gearbox and see what is going on there.
Thanks

Old 12-05-19, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
As far as I remember...... the shaft pulls out of the bearing. Spray it good with a lube like PB blaster. Be careful striking an axle from the end so that it doesn't get peened over.

Old 12-05-19, 09:55 PM
OK, that will be my next task tomorrow. I found some more youtube videos and it shows the shaft sliding through the bearing. I soaked in PB Blaster and will let is soak over night.