Simplicity Mower Deck Bearings

Old 12-09-19, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Simplicity Mower Deck Bearings

I am pretty sure I need spindle bearings in my old Simplicity mower deck, Model 1691339 (1996) I called NAPA and they said their computer cross reference for that bearing #108202) is a roller bearing, but there are no race numbers or references for races in the parts list. I can see a ball bearing working in this application, and would like to know what I have before I start knocking them out of the Arbor Housings.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-19, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
I'm seeing regular sealed ball bearings there. Part #2108202SM. I'm sure it crosses to a standard bearing you can get at most any lawn mower shop, most likely a snapper dealer. It probably has the standard number embossed on the seal when you get them out.

Old 12-09-19, 02:55 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Is that model number the mower or the deck number? What size is the deck?

Old 12-09-19, 03:04 PM
It is the mower deck. 60" with the debris collection option (has two blades going one way and one going the other.
I called another napa and got a cross from him of pp204rr6 which IS a ball bearing. Chuck is always right!

Old 12-09-19, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Chuck is always right!"

Ha! Please come tell that to my wife!

Old 12-09-19, 07:43 PM
Your on your own with THAT mission! LOL

Old 12-11-19, 11:46 AM
Chuck, I have a lot going on in the garage and just wondered if how much side play in these ball bearings is too much. When do YOU say to absolutely change out the deck spindle bearings? Two of the three spindles have some side play and the third has none at all.

Old 12-11-19, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on the situation. A really nice mower that the customer wants to last many more years and it's worth keeping up, I'll do it earlier, as soon as I can detect more than minimal movement. I don't measure it, I just go by how much wiggle there is and how dry the bearings feel and sound when I spin the blades. On mowers that are already old and worn out and the customer is just trying to get another season out of it, I'll let them slide if they seem like they'll make it. When you can hear them roaring, it's time to replace no matter how much play they have. If they're greasable and they don't have an alarming amount of play, you could fill them with fresh grease and go quite a while usually.

Old 12-11-19, 04:53 PM
Ive put enough into this old machine that I will be keeping it like until they dont let me mow anymore lol i was hoping to just clean it up and put in a badly needed new deck belt, but it is what it is. Another new skill! Thanks, and happy holidays!

Old 12-11-19, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well I think that model has steel quill housings, so it will probably be pretty forgiving of running bad bearings. Models with aluminum housings don't fare as well because if a bearing spins the outer race or the bearing is rough and bumpy, it wallows out the bore the bearing fits in and then a new bearing doesn't fit properly when replaced. Its a judgement call thing. I tend to run mine on my personal mower as long as I can as long as they are quiet. Once they start to roar, time to change them because heat is building up and they are prone to spin the outer race in the bore.

Old 12-11-19, 05:27 PM
Do you like to take the spindle housings out of the deck, or leave them mounted, when you start punching out the bearings? I am going to have to heat up a lot of bolts if I take them out of the deck.

Old 12-12-19, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I leave them in. Should be pretty easy. I think those may be held in with snap rings so be sure you get those out before hammering them out.

Old 12-12-19, 08:41 AM
Look for snap rings, got it. Thanks!

Old 12-13-19, 04:54 PM
I got into it the deck today, and you will get a kick out of this. Going after dissassembly from the top wasnt working too well, so i went up from the bottom. Fortuneatly without bending or breaking anything serious,. I found that the spindle housing is a two part affair called upper and lower arbor housings. I took out the worst one on the end opposite the discharge chute opening and discovered that the bearing was fine, but the play I was noticing was within the top arbor housing, not the bearing. The bearing seems to be fine and so does the housing, It must have been made that way? I may put in new bearings since I have it out anyway, but I may wait on the other two. (No snap rings by the way, just 24 year old rust between the stamped steel pulley and the shaft. Cant use heat, plastic dust shields underneath. Have to rig a jig under my press.

Last edited by WML13; 12-13-19 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added Information
Old 12-13-19, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well I guess that's good news. Do you have side play or up and down play? Up and down isn't as bad.

Old 12-13-19, 09:36 PM
The only play I can discern is the movement of the bearing from side to side within the recess that was stamped in the upper part of the Arbor assembly. If the bearing were damaged or the shaft was worn It would be a smoking gun but I dont have anything like that here.

Old 12-16-19, 09:07 AM
After removing all 3 Spindles, It app;ears that I have good bearings top and bottom in all 3 but two of them have play in just the upper Arbor (spindle housing) These arbors are replaceable, I guess, but do bad bearings cause this, and should I be planning to replace all the upper arbors and all the bearings?

Old 12-16-19, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Years of shaking with unevenly worn blades, belts with thin burnt spots or chunks missing, bad bearings rumbling and spinning the outer race, and that sort of thing is what wears out the housings. I know a guy who works at an electric motor repair shop... he repairs worn bearing housings with blue locktite. I've never tried it on a mower but it might be worth a shot if the play is minimal. Really, as long as the bearings are good and they aren't flopping around too much, that kind of wear wouldn't worry me too much. I mean if the blade tip is able to wobble 1/4 inch, then I'd replace what was needed to fix that but 1/16 I'd let slide if it's just wear inside the housing causing it. It's not like a bad bearing that's about to give up and cause all kind of problems, it's just clearance between parts.

Old 12-16-19, 01:33 PM
Great minds think alike. I was thinking some shim stock to take up any play, (and there isnt much) and gluing that in with the Locktite would probably get me by until the grim reaper has my estate sale lol

Old 12-16-19, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lol. You might also be able to take a ball peen and dimple the housing from the outside a bit, then when you drive the new bearing in, it will push out as needed as it goes home.

Old 12-16-19, 07:21 PM
you're determined to make me do things like my father did, aren't you? lol

Old 12-17-19, 02:15 PM
i managed to get the pulleys off the top of the spindles without bending or breaking anything, (Acetelene is the 8th wonder of the world) and that availed me a better look at the inside of the spindle housings and bearings. The top bearings on two of the spindles are were shot but did not appear to have done any damage to the Arbors, or splined shafts. I have ordered all six bearings and two idler pulleys. If the bearings fit snug into the Arbors I should be ok. If not a shim or a ball peen hammer will be close by!

Old 12-18-19, 12:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good deal, glad to know it's just the bearings then.

Old 12-24-19, 03:09 PM
Bearings came today, fit nice and snug, may need some slight pressing to seat them. All good stuff so far!

Old 12-25-19, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Excellent!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-19, 08:38 AM
Chuck, before I assemble everything, I ordered everything I could not find present when I DISASSEMBLED the spindle shaft housings, and one of those items was a foam gasket PN 1707335. One of those shows in the parts breakdown for each spindle shaft, and the book shows it positioned in the middle of the lower spindle housing right where the grease zerk comes in. Im guessing that this gasket is supposed the keep the grease from going somewhere it is not supposed to, but there WAS grease in the housings from the bottom bearing to the top sealed bearing. I think this grease is really only supposed to keep rust from forming inside the housing, as the bearings are pre sealed, but maybe there is another reason, or purpose I am not seeing? These can be seen in the mower deck breakdown for deck model 1691339 60" Arbor and Drive group page 24

Old 12-26-19, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't see any purpose for this in the diagram. I don't recall one ever having it or replacing it.

Old 12-26-19, 12:36 PM
Well all it is is a thin foam ring with a hole in it to allow the shaft and spacer to go thru it. When I fill the lower housing with grease, it is going to go where it wants to go I guess lol

Old 12-27-19, 02:24 PM
I think I have discovered the purpose of the foam gasket. If you place it just below the top bearing, it sits nicely on the top of the lower housing. It will be sandwiched between the to halves of the spindle housings and pressed tight between them with the bolts that hold the two spindle housings together and to the deck itself. If I were to guess, it will act like a gasket AND a seal (along with the RTV Black that will go around the perimeter that is not covered by the foam) to keep debris and water out of the spindle housings. I will send you a photo when I find my camera! ( My Dad told me that the reason Jesus wasn't born in Toledo was because they couldn't find 3 wise men)