Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Putting on a new mower engine

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-06-01, 07:08 AM   #1  
I'm really having to pinch pennies these days (long story) and I've found a great deal on a new BS 12hp electric start engine on the internet. My question is... how hard is it for someone with average mechanical knowledge to put on a new mower engine (older Snapper rear engine lawn mower with elec start) and are there any resources available to help.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-06-01, 07:41 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome ccain to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

Before you make that replacement engine purchase, consider this point. That engine must be an exact replacement, identical to the engine it will be replacing.

The only positive method is to compare serial numbers. Model numbers may be identical to indicate the engine class but the serial numbers also help determine the exact specifications of the engine. One number or letter difference can be the difference between a usable engine for the machine and one that is not.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"
Keep in mind my company no longer services nor repairs lawn and garden powered equipment. However, the help I can offer you is based upon my prior years in this industry with this type of equipment.

Visiting Guest

06-06-01, 09:52 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Spring boarding on that, I would then take the numbers from this person selling it to you (ask for the serial #s) and e-mail Briggs and Stratton through their technical forum and ask if it is the correct replacement engine for this unit. They should be able to tell you if it is the right one for the piece of equipment.

They will likely need the engine numbers from both the old and new engines to compare and determine what the right engine replacement is.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com

Search this Thread