New lawn tractor

Old 03-28-20, 03:01 PM
C
Received 56 Votes on 45 Posts
New lawn tractor

I am in the market for a new lawn tractor and I am looking at zero turn residential mowers. I mow just under two acres and am looking for a mower with a cut width of between 46" and 54" preferably with a 3 blade deck.. My budget is less than $3500.

I've been reading reviews on line and have concluded that they (the reviews) are mostly worthless. Does anyone have any recommendations based on actual experience. I am looking at the Husquavarna Z246 (only 2 blades) or Z252 or an Ariens Ikon X 52" which is quite a bit cheaper.

My last lawn tractor was a Cub Cadet and it burned my garage and most of my house down so I'm not interested in that brand,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-20, 03:08 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Only suggestion I can make is if you are in an area where sweet gum trees are located be sure the machine has some provision to keep the gum balls from being picked up and thrown into your belts/pulleys. This is a significant problem for me with my Cub Cadet

Old 03-28-20, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
What cub cadet was it? Older model? I read its upkeep issues that cause them to start fire.

I typed cub cadet fires on google...

I have a 3 blade 50" cadet and its the best ive had. Cut is outstanding.

I thought zero turn but they ride too rough for me. And with the hydro static trans I can cut just as fast.. Im not trying to win races.

Plus I got the fab deck with that model..

Old 03-28-20, 03:57 PM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Need a mower

Buy a Toro. I have a 7hp, 8hp, and 16 hp all built before 1990, and all mow home lawns of average size once a week all summer. The 89 HMR has had the engine rebuilt after 1300 hours, and is my favorite. I have two Simplicities, a 1978 and a 2006, they both have rebuilt engines and rebuilt decks. The Toro's are by far the better built of the two brands. I would not buy anything else but a Toro, of any classification.

Old 03-28-20, 04:04 PM
C
The lawn tractor was probably 8-10 years old. It was an LTX 1050. We don't know what started the fire other than the tractor was the cause. Both our local fire marshal and a state police fire investigator investigated the fire and while they were sure that's where the fire started they could not pinpoint the actual cause. They suspect either a gas line leak or grass clippings. I don't think it was the grass because I had just finished mowing and most of the clippings on the deck were green. The garage was fully involved in less than 10 minutes so I'm leaning towards a gas leak.

Of interest - the insurance adjuster said that this was the 4th lawn tractor fire he worked that year (Aug 2019). The fire marshal said his lawn tractor caught fire while he was mowing! However the investigator that was looking to subrogate the claim said that he could find no instances of that model Cub Cadet causing a fire.

In the FWIW category, I really liked the tractor and the Kohler engine. However, the 3 blade mower deck was an MTD POS and I hope that you never have to change a drive belt. Look it up on You Tube.

Old 03-28-20, 04:05 PM
J
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
This info comes from someone that owns a lawn care company and has owned at least 10, Z Turns and always have at least 2 on hand.
#1, I'd only buy a mower at a dealer for a far better chance of getting it fixed if need be.
#2, That price point is going to be hard to hit for a quality mowers that's going to hold up and give a good ride.
#3, For one that's going to last look for a fabricated deck, not a cheap stamped metal deck.
The Ferris, and Simplicty have shock absorbers on all the wheels, HD engines, Fab decks.
My 54" deck Kubota has a spring loaded seat, fab, deck and rides and runs great.
The two home owner grade John Deere's I owned where a POS,
I get paid by the yard, not by the hour, there's just no way a regular rider can out cut a Z turn. I can mow faster, and have far less trimming to do when done.

Old 03-28-20, 04:16 PM
W
I shared a post earlier this year when my 1978 Simplicity mentioned above, which I use to plow snow with, stopped dead in its tracks. You can follow the post as to what I found, but I was both surprised an a bit miffed at myself for not getting back behind the gas tank and battery last summer after the mowing season. I found enough dead grass and other material packed in there to start nice fire with just a spark. I was just lucky it was the dead of winter when the smoking gun, a bad circuit breaker came apart while I was plowing snow.

Old 03-28-20, 04:38 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
I know you had a bad experience with the CC. But I vote that as the top unit.

Old 03-28-20, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
I hope that you never have to change a drive belt. Look it up on You Tube.
I took the deck down with 3 clips to clean it and change blades.

3 clips , drop, slide out, flips, clean and blade change. was pretty easy IMO.

I looked at deere and looked like a POS..

I bought from local CC dealer. They come pick it up free if any issues arise . 3 yr bumper to bumper.

I wanted EFI but didnt want the CC motor so I opted for the kohler 7000.. 24 hp..

Im cheap so I bought this one.

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/lawn-...BQA1CZ010.html

I mow an acre

Old 03-29-20, 08:28 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Three years ago I bought a Husqvarna Z242F, never had so much fun cutting grass. All I've had to do is change the oil and filter once a year. Little spendy but I like it.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...42f/967953801/

Old 03-29-20, 09:37 AM
C
Mike,
I don't think the fire was related to maintenance issues. The only maintenance I had done was replacing the oil and changing the air filter at the start of the mowing season. The fire was mid August. I clear the engine deck from clippings when I check the oil before every mow.
Changing the deck belt is a fairly easy process but on the LTX 1050 it's a bit more involved than what you described. Yes to three clips but the front of the deck needs to be disconnected and removing the deck belt from the engine pulley also requires loosening or removing the belt keeper. Changing the deck belt isn't too bad but the 3 pulley, single belt routing can be confusing. It's changing the drive belt on the LTX series that is a PITA.

Old 03-29-20, 09:48 AM
C
After reading some of the comments in this thread I'm becoming concerned about ride comfort. I usually hobble around bent over for a half hour or so after mowing. If the zero turn platforms are that rough riding I may look for a conventional lawn or garden tractor.

Old 03-29-20, 10:03 AM
Have you considered the CC ZT1. This is the one with the right and left hand steering levers. No steering wheel. I think it makes you sit upright more than the steering wheel type. This is the one we bought for my son. He seems to be getting the hang of it very well.

Old 03-29-20, 10:11 AM
W
Too fancy for me , but I think Toro and a few others are selling shock absorbing seats on some of their units. I wound up in physical therapy with a couple of compressed discs in my lower back, which were attributed to my penchant for mowing two acres of turf every week without taking proper breaks. If you don't buy one with a shock absorbing seat, it won't matter what kind of mower it is. Your spine is going to suffer, Just saying....

Old 03-29-20, 11:31 AM
Received 241 Votes on 228 Posts
Nothing runs like a Deere, easy to find nice low hour used machines, Z75XX mower will be mine in a couple years when I retire and take on all the neighborhood lawn services!

Agree about the department store series, crap, I think they are doing them self a disservice selling them when people don't realize they are cheap versions!

Old 03-29-20, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
I'm becoming concerned about ride comfort.
LIke I said ZT's have a rough ride. but you an get toros and other commercial brands with shocks/suspension.

Out of my price range..

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/ri...mecutter-75745

https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_u...urn-mower.html

Even with my CC after 1 acre I just want to get off the thing..

I dont have golf course smooth landscape.

Old 03-30-20, 06:31 AM
T
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Agreed that the ZT's don't ride nice. I have the Husquarna, cuts amazing well and handles just about anything you can run the thing over. It's built pretty solid. I've got just over 1,000 hrs on it with nothing more the oil and filter changes. Toss a set of Gator blades on it and let it fly !!!!

Old 03-30-20, 07:50 AM
I'm sure with a little bit of engineering and Rube Goldberging you can rig up a piston or damper under the seat. An interesting project that can use up a lot of free time during these days.

Using angle iron maybe a frame could be made that straddles either side of seat bolted to frame. Then a piston such as might be attached to each side of seat. I can picture it in my head.

Challenge?

I drew it...You make it!

Last edited by Norm201; 03-30-20 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added sketch
Old 03-30-20, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 25 Posts
Did your old cub cadet have a kohler courage single cylinder engine? Those are known to drip oil on the hot muffler because they used a cheap cork valve cover gasket that hardens, shrinks, and leaks in no time.

Old 04-04-20, 01:37 PM
C
You guys convinced me that the zero turn mower is probably not a good choice for me. Too rough on the back. I decided on the Cub Cadet XT2 SLX54. This is my 3rd Cub Cadet and except for the fire they have been pretty reliable. I really like the Kohler engine. This one has a couple of new (to me) features including no choke , quick change blades and reverse mowing (why?).

Norm - If my garage burns down again I'm blaming you.

Old 04-04-20, 01:56 PM
OK!

Actually I always keep my rider in reverse cutting mode. Mush easier to back up on some hard to get corner or as I make a curved area I can just back up to get the section that the turn missed.

I like the no choke and quick change blade idea. Wish I had that.

The high back seat may make a difference on your back ache. I gerry rigged a back support on my Craftsman low back rider.