Homelite 26cc Trimmer won’t Start

Old 03-30-20, 06:48 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelite 26cc Trimmer won’t Start

My friend’s Homelite 26cc trimmer won’t start even with starting fluid. New spark plug w/gap @.027”, checked for spark, checked compression 90 psig, removed & cleaned muffler flame arrestor mesh & checked for blockage, cleaned inlet air filter, fresh premixed fuel, removed carburetor and cleaned (was not dirty). Looked for piston scoring through inlet and exhaust ports. Should run with starting fluid a few seconds even if it were a carburetor problem but will not fire off. Any suggestions?

Old 03-30-20, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
Did it die and not restart, or was it put away in running condition and now years later won't start?

Old 03-30-20, 07:16 PM
G
My friend told me several years ago she loaned it to a friend and it died on her. It has been sitting in a garage ever since. It is a 2014 model and looks in good shape with little use.

Last edited by GordonW; 03-30-20 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-31-20, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try putting a dribble of gas/oil mix in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in, open the choke, give it full throttle, and pull it several times to see if it will start this way. If nothing, you may need to check the flywheel key if it for sure has compression and spark and the exhaust is clear.

Old 04-01-20, 05:53 PM
G
I did as you suggested with a dribble of gas in the spark plug hole several times, still won’t start or even attempt to fire. I did recheck the spark with a spark tester. I will recheck the compression, recheck that the exhaust is clear, and check the flywheel key. It will be several days before I can get back on it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-13-20, 06:57 PM
G
I took the casing/housing off to look at the flywheel. The flywheel to shaft key is not visible. I read where the key is part of the flywheel casting and slips into a keyway on a tapered shaft. There was no visible signs of slippage I could tell but there probably would not be signs.

Old 04-14-20, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not common to have happen but it can shear the key made into the flywheel. Before going that far, let me ask is the spark plug wet with gas? Does the piston look wet or dry?

Old 04-17-20, 07:33 PM
G
Finally got it running. The idle is not quite right yet, still need to do some fine tuning on the low speed needle and idle screw. I removed the crank case cover just to inspect for signs of damage, none found. I was also beginning to wonder if there may be a casing fuel/air leak (seal or gasket). I once again removed( third time) the carburetor disassembling making sure all passages were clear and clean. Added some SeaFoam to the 50:1 premixed fuel. It tried to fire on the second pull and fired off on about the fourth pull but would not idle. Ran it full throttle about 5-7 minutes while adjusting the high speed needle valve. Finally got it to idle by adjusting the idle screw and the low speed needle valve. Going let it sit over night and do the final tuning tomorrow. The problem must have been the carburetor all along. I don’t know why in the beginning I could not get it to even attempt to fire using starting fluid or fuel in the spark plug hole or spraying starting fluid in the inlet. The spark plug or piston was never wet but maybe a slightly damp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: