Craftsman/Briggs & Stratton 7HP Lawn Mower - Lots of resistance on cold starts

Old 04-18-20, 08:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman/Briggs & Stratton 7HP Lawn Mower - Lots of resistance on cold starts

Hi all!

Whenever I haven't used this lawnmower for about 2+ days, it is very very difficult to get it started. I counted today and it was around pull 50 that it got started. The pull cord has a ton of resistance for the first 20-ish pulls. After 20ish pulls, I can start pulling the cord smoother although it still has resistance. Around 40ish pulls it seems to pull like a regular lawnmower. Late 40s pulls, it starts to sputter a little bit but never cranks until I get to around my 50th pull, when it actually turns over and starts.

After it starts, it's golden. I can turn it off and start it back up again first pull. Even if I try to start it 8 hours after I had it running, it's not hard to get it running. But, if I wait too long, that resistance on the pull builds up again.
I've checked the brake cable and made sure it was releasing from the flywheel completely and that the kill wire works properly. The recoil assembly looks just fine. I've cleared the shroud of any debris as well as near the blade underneath. I got a new spark plug and I've tried pulling the cord with and without the spark plug in.

Any ideas or advice?

Old 04-19-20, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like your carburetor is leaking gas slowly into the cylinder which makes it hard to start because 1) it's flooded, and 2) gasoline doesn't compress so it makes the compression higher/harder to pull.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-20, 01:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Cheese. When I dig into the carburetor, any specific advice on what I should look for?

Old 04-19-20, 11:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Make sure it's clean, the float moves freely, and maybe install a new inlet needle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: