Problem with Storm Responder Generator

Old 04-19-20, 01:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with Storm Responder Generator

I have a new generator with less than 1 hour total run time. I have put a gallon or 2 of gas in over the last couple of months to test it and let it run for awhile. Today I added about 5 gallons and noticed right away gas leaking out of the bottom of the air filter housing. After taking it apart I see it dripping not from the main fuel line but from a much smaller line that come from the bottom of the tank and connects to the air filter housing itself.

Am I right in assuming this is the vent line that goes from just under the gas cap in the tank and that it is cracked somewhere? Again, it only seems to leak when more than a gallon or so of gas is in the tank. It doesnt matter whether the generator is running or not, only the amount of gas in the tank. If I'm right, is there anything I can do about it short of replacing the tank ?

This purchase was an open box special from Lowes. I only had 30 days to return it it. It seemed to work great until I put more than a gallon in.

Thanks

Old 04-19-20, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unless someone has that same exact unit and knows it..... we're going to need a model number.

Old 04-19-20, 02:17 PM
S
its the storm responder model 030728, 8500 starting watts, 6250 running.

Old 04-19-20, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
In the diagram..... part #52 is a vapor recovery/vent line.
There is no detail in how it's connected to the engine. I'd say if it's leaking.... it may be split.

Briggs & Stratton 030728

Briggs and Stratton - direct

Last edited by PJmax; 04-20-20 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-20, 06:22 PM
S
That's the conclusion I came to as well. It doesn't look very serviceable short of replacing the tank. I saw some other models of storm responders that appeared to have the cap ventilated with the vent line running from the cap outside of the tank to the filter housing. If it fit mine, and I could find the part, that might be an acceptable solution.

The LCD says it has a total of .7 running hours, it sure seems like a manufacturing defect. Do you think I can get any help from Briggs&Stratton on this?

Old 04-19-20, 11:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
The hose is connected from the tank to the air filter housing, right? If so, it's for burning the vapors in the tank. The gas in the tank shouldn't come into contact with the hose if I'm understanding this correctly. Is the tank full to the brim? Maybe drain a bit and see if that stops it.

Old 04-20-20, 05:33 AM
S
yes, thats how the hose is attached. There is no leaking with 1 - 2 gallons in the tank. Steady leaking with about 3 - 4 gallons in the tank.
edit: its a 9 gallon tank

Old 04-20-20, 11:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
Huh. Can you shine a light inside to see where the hose is in there? Maybe too much has nee inserted or an end that was supposed to be clipped to the top fell in?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: