New Cub Cadet

Old 06-17-20, 02:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New Cub Cadet

Need to get a new riding lawn mower and the dealer has suggested the Cub Cadet XL1 42 inch blade. Since I don't know much about this I'm asking for opinions on if this is a good machine. Only have to mow about half an acre of grass.

Been running a JD RX75 for over 20 years now. Ran fine last week but won't start today. Might just be the battery but I'm not handy with the mechanics of fixing it. Dealer wants $120 just to pick it up and repairs on top of that, so it would be costly to have it fixed.

Any advice? Thanks.

Old 06-17-20, 03:49 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Sorry, I would need more information about the condition of not starting to be able to advise you. What makes you think it may be the battery? Isn't there someone in your circle of friends with mechanical aptitude that can help you diagnose? A $50 battery is a lot cheaper than a $2500 mower. You could also take it to an auto parts store and have it tested. Most places do it for free, especially if you buy a new battery.

Old 06-17-20, 03:58 PM
S
It's just not even trying to start and being I replaced the battery about eight years ago I thought that might be the problem. I've been using this little machine 23 years now and it was used when I got it. I've already put some money into it and not sure if I should continue that.
Since you are nice enough to answer me would you give me your opinion on electric mowers? 30" is big enough for this yard. Do they really run about an hour on a charge?
Thanks.

Old 06-17-20, 04:15 PM
H
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Does the mower have lights? Try turning them on...then you’ll know right away if the battery is dead. You can get a new one (I just did) at pep boys for $40 with a 12-month warranty. It’s a 5 minute swap.

electric riding mowers? Ryobi makes one With good reviews but it’s $4k. Ego makes good quality tools and has a self propelled walk behind for around $600. And a 5-year warranty.

Old 06-17-20, 04:20 PM
S
No lights on this one. That would be a good way to check thou.
I've been looking at the 30" electric Cub Cadet, about $1,500

Old 06-17-20, 06:49 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
You would be lucky to even get 3 or 4 years out of a battery and yours is 8 years old.
Got a set of jumper cables?
If so, jump it to see if it starts, if it does just go buy a new battery and save the money.
Every year I'm given at at least 10 mowers of all types from people like you that have no clue how to fix them, and 99% of the time it's a simple cheap fix and there back running the same day.
There's tons of You Tube videos on simple test you can do to find and fix issues like your having.

Old 06-17-20, 07:57 PM
S
Ok, so if batteries usually last 3 - 4 years then guess I did well with this one. I'll get some help on this.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-18-20, 03:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
A half-acre of grass you might be able to do OK with an electric riding mower. Battery tech has come a long way and many manufactures have come out with models. Even Cub Cadet. Also, check out the Ryobi electric riding mower at big orange.

Cub Cadet has always made decent mowers but of course, manufacturers seem to be more concerned about hitting a price point than producing mowers that will last a long time. Personally I think any mower bought from a box store is all similar quality.

Old 06-18-20, 08:28 AM
S
Just called the dealer (not big box place) and think I will just go new on this.

Read here about a guy who worked on his 20 year old JD mower. Obviously he knew what he was doing - got lots of advice - replaced parts, etc - but in the long run he decided to buy a new one.

The XT1 Cadet has a three year warranty and the dealer will help me if I have any trouble.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Old 06-18-20, 10:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The RX75 was a great mower, I wouldn't trade one for any of this junk that is for sale these days. You will be disappointed in a few years. Someone out there will still be driving that RX75. Those were made during the pinnacle of quality for John Deere.

Old 06-18-20, 12:50 PM
S
I hope somebody is still using it in a few years.
It served me well for 23 summers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: