At wits end with Craftsman mower

Old 07-08-20, 11:58 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
At wits end with Craftsman mower

Been working on a Craftsman mower fo a couple of weeks now. It’s a Craftsman 23” self propelled with a Briggs and Stratton engine Model#115P020004F1. It all started when I hit a stump and bent the blade. I ordered a new blade and while I was waiting for it I straightened the original blade out and finished mowing. Installed the new one and started mowing. I noticed a didn’t have the power it usually had but it was cutting so I continued until I ran over an ant hill which I have always done when it bogged down and died with no success in re-starting. The flywheel key was sheared so I replaced it. It started and ran for about 10 seconds and died with no restart. The next morning I tried again and it did the same thing. Ran for about 10 seconds and died with no restart. I pulled the sump and found that the camshaft had moved about 45 degrees off time. Reinstalled it in the correct position and closed it up. It didn’t even to pretend to want to start. It has fire, fuel and compression. I have adjusted the valves and magneto, still nothing. I love this mower because of its 23” cut and my heart pines for it to get well again. What am I missing? I’m retired and have more time than money so I’m not in a position to start changing parts. Everything I’ve seen looks to be undamaged except for the flywheel key.

Old 07-08-20, 12:26 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Just on replacing the flywheel, first take would be whether it slipped off the key slot. I would recheck that.

Since the no start began with the cam being reset, I would double check that. If it wasn't off in the way you read it to be it would mess up everything afterwards.

Are you getting any vibration even with a new blade, think in terms of bent crankshaft.

Old 07-08-20, 01:27 PM
B
Thanks for the input. The flywheel key that I replaced is still in place. Even if the crank is bent (which it didn’t appear to be) it wouldn’t prevent the engine from starting. I’m inclined to agree with you about the cam gear displacement but at the same time it is in time with the crankshaft gear on both occasions that I’ve had the sump off after originally resetting the timing.

Old 07-08-20, 01:46 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
We'll need a Cheese look on this one.

If the crank was bent and you had it started, you would know it. It shakes things a lot. But if you had been getting restarts up til you reset the cam, there could be something there. It makes you wonder how the marks lined up when it was new. And if the impact would be of a type to make the gears skip.

Old 07-08-20, 01:54 PM
B
Yeah, that’s my thoughts also. Guess I’m gonna take the sump of and check it again. Could be the gear wheel slipped out but the lobes stayed in place.

Last edited by bayoudonnie; 07-08-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yeah I'm quite sure the gears didn't jump. Take pictures of the marks you lined up. If you used the triangle instead of the dot, you moved it out of time. I'd say that's what happened from the description.

Old 07-08-20, 05:58 PM
B
The crankshaft gear fits in keyway and it has a punch mark on that tooth. The cam gear has one groove on the face of the gear and nothing else. I plan on opening up the sump cover and will post a pic

Old 07-09-20, 05:01 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
With the crankshaft rotating in the run direction, the magnets on the flywheel should be approaching the ignition module when the valves are closed and the piston is at top dead center. This assumes the flywheel is properly keyed to the crankshaft Position the camshaft gear with the crankshaft gear to accomplish this. There should be matching marks on the 2 gears when correctly installed. It is unlikely that a geared drive could jumps timing.

Old 07-09-20, 12:22 PM
B
Senility strikes again!

Found this when I pulled the camshaft and actually looked at it. Ordered new cam and crankshaft gear. I’ll let y’all know the outcome when I get them installed. Thank y’all for making me think again!

Old 07-09-20, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Looks like the rod bolt hit the lobe as it was in the way at the wrong time.

Old 07-13-20, 03:10 AM
B
I guess I’m kinda glad it was plastic. Metal would probably torn up more parts.

Old 06-02-22, 08:16 AM
B
Same exact thing happened to me.

Replaced the key, nothing. Went into the engine found one of the cam lobes totally sheared. Replaced the cam and it sheared. Plastic. Bought a new mower

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: