Input on Engine to Repower Snowblower

Old 07-09-20, 07:08 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Input on Engine to Repower Snowblower

I want replace a Tec 5.5 hp on my 24 in snowblower with a 6.5 hp engine from either B&S 950 208 cc snow engine or HF tool store clone 6.5 HP. I would like get input on these engines or others I should consider. Each engine seems to have some trouble areas. Valve train issues and longevity on other B&S engines is a major concern, anyone know if the 950 engine has the same issues?

Old 07-09-20, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The Briggs would be my choice for sure. I've seen too many chinese clone engines with bad electronics, brittle rocker arms, and even assembled with camshafts out of time.

Old 07-10-20, 05:58 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Go to the re-power section and see what they recommend. Have a good one. Geo

Home - Small Engine Warehouse

Old 07-11-20, 06:41 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I went through a year of hell trying to deal with Briggs 2 years ago on a 6 hp engine that came on a brand new DR lawn and leaf vac.
As you may be alluding to they had used a plastic gear to run the cam shaft and the tiny detente that held the gear in place would just shear off within an hour.
DR was nice enough to just send me a new engine, no questions asked 2nd day air.
Well after having to send me 4 new engines in just one month that all failed the same day I tried to use them, they got Briggs involved.
The engines they make for DR use a 1" output shaft instead of the standard 3/4".
Briggs tried to say it was the wrong engine that DR was using for that application so for some strange reason they insisted on sending an engine to my local dealer to have them install it, but the really strange thing is they sent an engine with the wrong crank shaft, and shipped the correct crank shaft in the same box and said they would pay the dealer to switch them out.
This one lasted less then 5 hours and the gear this time broke in half.
Briggs pretty much said we had to be doing something wrong, refused to pay the bill they said they would pay so I got stuck paying for it.
I gave up, sold it to some sucker and bought a used Trac Vac with a worn out motor.
I replaced the motor with new Briggs I bought on Amazon #130G32-0022-FI and it's been running perfect, and starts first pull every time for 2 years now.
I also own an old Yazoo mower that I installed a 6 HP Predator that cost less then 1/2 of what the Briggs and it also works perfect.

Old 07-11-20, 02:50 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
The scary part is that I am dating myself as I can remember when "made in Japan" was label assigned to a tool or an engine that was two minutes from the city dump. Now I have Makita tools that I would put up against any made anywhere. The Honda engine really set them apart. I have returned tools to dealers when they had the "Made in China" label on them without even giving them a trial. I recently wanted a certain style of mag wheel for my Golf Cart. I could only get it from a Chinese Manufacturer. I grudgingly bought a set, but was pleasantly surprised at how well they are made, and would recommend them to anyone. I do believe that all a manufacturer has to do is make up their mind as to whether they want their name on a quality product or not, and make it through the start up phase to get a foothold in the market. Don't get me started on how the US labor market affects this whole scenario!

Old 07-23-20, 07:26 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I replaced the motor with new Briggs I bought on Amazon #130G32-0022-FI and it's been running perfect, and starts first pull every time for 2 years now.
That engine looks similar to the Briggs 950 snow series engine I am looking at, but still hard to tell if it is the winter snow engine from same engine series.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: