add motor stop capability to older Briggs&Stratton motor

Old 07-20-20, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question add motor stop capability to older Briggs&Stratton motor

Hi,
I have an older B&S 7 or 8 hp NON OHV engine. This thing is old and I'm surprised it still runs but it does. I'd like to add a stop (short?) wire to it to stop the engine instead of choking it to death or removing the spark plug wire. Maybe with this old of an engine it just has a plug shorting piece of "springy" metal with a tooth that sits on top of the plug. Any identifying marks for this motor are long gone. I suspect it's probably a godzilla motor cobbled together from other motors to get one running one. There are no marks on the covers or any sheet metal that I can find. I bought this from a farmer a long time ago. ideas? thanks!

Old 07-20-20, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Can you get to the magneto ?
There should be a place to tie in a wire for shorting shutdown.

If there is no place to connect a wire..... it can be added to the wire that goes to the points.

Old 07-21-20, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
As you've mentioned a metal tab shorting out the spark plug will work. That's easy to make and install and is very reliable. A piece of wire can also be used. All you have to do is somehow short the top of the spark plug to the engine case to kill the spark.

You can remove the shroud from the flywheel. Then you'll be able see the ignition coil and can look to see if there is the remains of a kill wire that got broken off. If so you can splice on a piece of wire and install a kill switch somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: