Welder/Generator

Old 08-06-20, 02:17 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welder/Generator

Dilemma:

Acquired a Lincoln 155 MIG several years ago and have not used it due to home electrical limitation. I am not knowledgeable when it comes determining what electrical output would be required to operate the Lincoln 155.

The home generator, which is used sparingly during power outages has finally given up and looking to replace with the Honda 6500 portable generator primarily because it would appear the unit should be sufficient to operate the Generator during power outages but also to operate the Lincoln 155?

Another option may be to purchase a combination welder/Generator but the cost for the combo would be considerably more and considering the equipment limited use, in particular, the generator not sure it would be worth the additional cost?

Tech spec's on the Lincoln 155:

Specifications

Engine Honda iGX390
Displacement 389
AC Output 120/240V 6500W max. (54.2/27.1A) / 5500W rated (45.8/22.9A)
iAVR Output 7000W (58.3/29.2A) for 10 sec.
Receptacles 20A 125V GFCI Duplex (2), 30A 125V Locking Plug, 30A 125/250V Locking Plug

I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions to assist me in my dilemma/ perhaps if member(s) are familiar with either alternative.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-20, 04:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
40 amps x 240 volts = 9'600 watts

So, the Honda generator you mentioned is about half the size you would need in order to use the full capability of your welder. But the welder will only draw its' maximum current when welding at maximum power, something I almost never do. I would like to have my generator's capacity about 20-30% greater than I will actually use. Following that thought I guess you could run the welder at about 1/3 power from the Honda generator.

Old 08-06-20, 05:43 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Lincoln 155

Just curious, you don't have enough electrical service in the house to like run an electric dryer that uses 220?

My Century 180 Mig runs easily from House power,

Old 08-06-20, 08:56 PM
C
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I tried to zoom in on the tech specs but couldn't read them, so i looked up the Pro 155 welder- is that the right model? The manual says the machine comes with a NEMA 6-50 plug and wants 230 volts / 20 amps input power. I was going to suggest an electric dryer connection too, but clothes dryers are 30 amp circuits and i'm not sure if that is a conflict.

I made an extension cord to run my welder from the dryer: dryer plug at the wall connected to cable ending with a 6-50 socket, works fine.

@Lightspeed- may i suggest: when you get the welder going, read up in the owner's manual on the subject of polarity. If you use flux core wire set polarity to electrode negative. Solid wire polarity is electrode positive. Was just thinking if you got the machine second hand the last owner may have set it for a process you don't plan to use.

Old 08-06-20, 09:27 PM
L
Sorry, I should have mention it in my initial post, my first task would be to take the welder to the local Lincoln dealership and have them show me how to use it. I am in the process of reconditioning a couple early model 60's vehicles, nothing major with regards to welding.

My shop is approx. 75 ft. from the main power box with a couple large redwood groves in between, it appears my best option would be to down grade my choice of generator and rather than going with the generator-welder, focus on running power to the shop at a later date.

I want to thank U's the information is very helpful, I was hoping the larger generator would solve both of my issues, provide power to the house and the use of the welder.

Old 08-07-20, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I looked again and I see that the welder draws 22 amps (5'280 watts) and not the 40 I first thought. That puts it much closer to the capacity of the generator you mentioned.

Old 08-07-20, 07:25 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
The bottom portion of the tech sheet gives the recommended input wiring specs.

Old 08-08-20, 09:39 AM
L
Decided on the 6500s it will provide the 220v circuit to the house during power outages, unfortunately they do not offer a duel fuel system, if it provides the necessary wattage to operate the Lincoln I consider it a bonus.

I am no longer faced with a dilemma, I appreciate the comments and suggestions!!