After draining gas from tank and carb, should I evaporate the rest?

Old 08-17-20, 07:45 PM
C
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
After draining gas from tank and carb, should I evaporate the rest?

Drained the gas from my generator's tank and carb. There's still a tiny bit in the tank that won't drain, and I would assume there's probably a tiny bit left in the carb. Is storing the generator like this good enough, or should I leave the tank cap and carb screw off for a day or two to let any remaining gas evaporate?

Old 08-17-20, 07:54 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What's Wrong with just Adding some Storage Fuel Additive ?

Old 08-17-20, 08:01 PM
C
Nothing I guess. Figured why not just drain it (I had filled the tank about an hour before power was restored) and dump the gas into my vehicle and not have to worry about gas going bad.

Old 08-18-20, 12:52 AM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
What's Wrong with just Adding some Storage Fuel Additive ?
Fuel additive is only good for 6 months, generators can go years between usage unless your really into dragging it out and starting it up now and then.

Most generators are self draining from the tank to carb so I just run mine dry, there really isnt enough left behind that can cause any issues!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-20, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
On my small engines that are only run seasonally Iike to add StaBil to the last tank and then run it dry, never have any gas issues when I get ready to put it in service.

Old 08-18-20, 05:31 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 56 Votes on 47 Posts
To answer your question. If you want to do it that way (store it with no fuel), then yes, make sure all the fuel is out. I do things the silly way or long way or the odd way too sometimes. If thats how you want to do it, then get it all out.

However, like others have posted, its not the way I do it. Personally, I just add some StaBil. When I get through using my generator, I just turn the fuel off & let it run till it runs the gas out of the carb.
But, again, personally, I go out once a month & start mine if I havent used it in a few weeks.
I have a reminder in my phone, just like changing ac filters, heartworm/flea/tick meds for my dogs etc, to go start my generator for about 10 - 15 minutes then turn the fuel off & let it run out of gas.

Again, its just me though.

Old 08-18-20, 07:59 AM
C
When I get through using my generator, I just turn the fuel off & let it run till it runs the gas out of the carb.
How do you turn off fuel? I have this generator: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-6-...500S/305311298

The fuel/choke lever has OFF, START and RUN positions. To cut off fuel, I have to move to OFF, which shuts off the engine. It also has a "Run Switch" that the manual doesn't explain other than to say it must be the ON position - maybe that cuts off fuel to carb without shutting down engine immediately?
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...23608319bc.pdf

But, again, personally, I go out once a month & start mine if I havent used it in a few weeks.
I have a reminder in my phone, just like changing ac filters, heartworm/flea/tick meds for my dogs etc, to go start my generator for about 10 - 15 minutes then turn the fuel off & let it run out of gas.
Is running the engine until it shuts down for lack of gas safe for the engine? I assume this is under no load, since it's probably not safe for the loads.

Sir Dan voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-20, 08:10 AM
Received 312 Votes on 281 Posts
Add your own shut-off valve. I never use the switch to turn off the generator. I shut off the fuel supply and let the unit run dry. Don't forget to chock it as it begins to sputter. This will get all the gas out. I start mine once a week.

Two schools of thought as to storage of gas powered items. Keep full to the brim with a gas additive or completely empty. When you buy a brand new unit, does it have fuel in it? Does it start the first time when you do add fuel? I rest my case.

Old 08-18-20, 08:17 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 56 Votes on 47 Posts
Mine has a fuel shut of valve in'line of the fuel line. Its near where the choke is. just follow your fuel line from the tank & see if you have a 1/4 turn fuel shut off valve.
Switching the choke lever to off only shuts off the engine (as its designed) But doesnt act as a fuel shut off valve.

It doesnt harm the engine to run it out of fuel.

If you want to add a fuel shut off valve, it is a simple process, provided you can get to the rubber gas line easily.

Old 08-18-20, 08:20 AM
Received 312 Votes on 281 Posts
I only wish I could add a fuel shut off valve to my generator/inverter. But the lines are too well integrated into the housing, leaving no room for addition.

Old 08-18-20, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
Many carburetors has a drain valve on the bottom of the bowl. Usually it's a phillips head screw with a spring on it or a 10mm bolt going in at an angle. Take that out to let the carburetor drain, and let the residual gas in the tank evaporate.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-20, 07:23 PM
S
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
OK , but Messy
Sorry about Label I was on 18 Hrs and No Sleep . .

Old 08-19-20, 08:13 PM
R
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
cartman > pretty sure that clone engine has a 10mm drain bolt on the carb bowl. And I *think* that once you've pulled the fuel line, the gas tank comes off with just a few screws. Take it off and shake the dogsh*t out of it.

Try to get ALL the gas out. Stick some clean rags into the tank and get the last remnants of gas outta there and then yeah, leave the cap off and let the rest evap. Sometimes, some leftover gas will seep back into the carb so just keep trying to start it. It might take 3 or 4 times of waiting, start/run for a few seconds and die out. Keep doing it till you're sure there's no more gas in the carb.

This is a total PITA but very much worth it. You want ALL that gas ouuta there. Store it with the fuel valve in the OFF position and the choke on (closed) so no spiders make a home in your carb.

That B can sit there for years and when the power goes out, just gas it up and off you go!

cartman voted this post useful.

Last edited by Ratdude; 08-19-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 07:52 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I have to agree with the ratdude on this one. Get it all out before you store it. Run it out, blow it out, pour it out. You won't regret doing it. You WILL regret NOT doing it, (This is the voice of experience lol)

Old 09-07-20, 07:49 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Run it out with stabil

If you are going to run it out of gas run it out of gas with stabil in it. Raw gas sitting will draw water eventually in your carb float bowl. The next option would be to drain it completely and drain the carb float bowl. Major PITA.

marksr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: