Stihl gas trimmer

Old 08-21-20, 01:29 PM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Stihl gas trimmer

I have a Stihl curved shaft gas trimmer that all of a sudden stopped working today. I have a generic replacement head on it that takes pieces of the plastic cutting line. Today when I started it up within 30 seconds the head stopped spinning. I first checked to make sure there were no weeds wrapped around the shaft and tried it again. The shaft where the head attaches will not spin freely. I took the head off and tried moving the shaft with a wrench but it still is very tight. It has been working very well for several years the way it's set up. How do I fix it? Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-20, 02:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
Does the head spin when the engine is at idle? Does the centrifugal clutch engage when you rev the engine?

Old 08-21-20, 02:45 PM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The head does not spin at idle. It will try to spin if I accelerate but it is tight. I had begun to trim with it and all of a sudden it acted up and would not spin. My first thought was there were some weeds wrapped around the shaft but that proved to be false. The person who used it before me a couple weeks ago cut some high weeds but never said something was wrong. I haven't used it since then so I figured it was fine until it wasn't. There is a nut at the end of the shaft and when I loosened it the shaft spun, but when I tightened it back up it was very tight again.

Old 08-22-20, 06:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
I would check the centrifugal clutch up at the engine. It's what connects the engine to the drive shaft above a certain rpm.

Old 08-23-20, 01:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
Usually this is caused by the boom shaft coming out away from the engine, allowing the flex cable to disengage from the clutch.