Help with Redmax string trimmer (new here)

Old 08-28-20, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Help with Redmax string trimmer (new here)

Hello,
newbie here, and found you all by Googling for help to fix our Redmax BCZ2650S string trimmer. It is 11 yrs old, without any problems, we haven't even had to replace the spark plug, until about a month ago. Hubby was getting ready to do the weed eating and it wouldn't run right, it would start, but when he throttled it up, it would die. We replaced the Ignition Coil, just today, and still no luck. There is no spark on the sparkplug, and with a new ignition coil we figured there should be.
I bought a OEM ignition coil so I would think it would not be flawed, but who knows, right?
We aren't real tech savvy with these things but have a working knowledge of how to repair motors, etc. but this weed eater is really causing us to learn new words. lol
I sure hope someone out there can give us some pointers about how to figure out the problem with this weed eater and I would really appreciate it too.
Thanks for any info anyone can share, or tips on how to fix this weed eater.

Old 08-28-20, 03:16 PM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
So. lets start with the most obvious, over the past 11 years, have you religiously used stabilizer in the fuel over the winter months?

If answer is no, then 99% chance that the carb is an issue!

Old 08-28-20, 04:19 PM
Well we do use high octane gas, religiously and no we don't use Stabil. Hubby has a problem with using it, but we do keep the tanks filled all the time.
We don't think it is the carb as it is getting gas, but it really has no spark at the plug. We just changed out the Ignition coil today, with no help with getting spark to the plug.
Thanks for the help, and I am looking forward to more answers to my problem.

Old 08-28-20, 04:26 PM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. In your original post you mentioned that the trimmer started and idled, but would die when throttled up. Now you say it doesn't have any spark. It wouldn't start or idle if there is not spark. Is it "dead" now (won't start or idle)?

Old 08-28-20, 05:58 PM
B
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Have you put old coil back on to see if the engine will run? Throttle up problems could be jet adjustments or dirty spark arrester in the muffler. Have you tried either of these?

Old 08-28-20, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
When you check for spark, the spark plug must be grounded or it will not spark. Make sure the spark plug is touching a metal part of the engine housing/block and then re-check.

1WVBonBonQueen voted this post useful.
Old 08-29-20, 05:03 AM
it would start, but when he throttled it up, it would die
and no we don't use Stabil
99.99999999999999% its a carb problem!

Old 08-29-20, 08:01 AM
When it first stopped running, it would start, but not throttle up, it would die. Now, it has no spark at all. The coil that was the original was replaced yesterday, and it still has no spark. We did change the spark plug, but still no spark.

Old 08-29-20, 08:06 AM
Yes, we did ground it before pulling the rope, to see if it has spark, nope, no spark.

Old 08-29-20, 08:09 AM
I understand what you are saying about the carb, the Stabil etc. But if it were a carb problem, it would/should still have fire, right?

Old 08-29-20, 08:19 AM
Now you have 2 problems, need to get the spark back then address the fuel/carb issue!

Old 08-29-20, 08:24 AM
We actually have a new carb to install, as soon as we can get it to firing again.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by 1WVBonBonQueen; 08-29-20 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Used wrong wording.
Old 08-29-20, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
Unplug the small wire plugged onto the coil and then check for spark and report results

Old 08-30-20, 07:10 AM
We have done that also, still no spark. I am thinking that is the switch wire that let's you see if the switch is the problem or not, right?
It was running, hubby shut it down to replace the string, then when he started it back, it wouldn't throttle up, it just died. lol
So now we are about ready to save it for parts for other weed trimmers. lol
We bought the new Carb, then a Coil, the Carb isn't the problem, as the Carb wouldn't stop it from firing, it would only stop it from getting the right amount of fuel.
Hubby really likes this weed trimmer, it has the right feel, not too heavy, let's him turn it sideways to mow on the hillsides, he just like it and with owning it for 11 yrs, and no issues, until this, well it sure is or was his favorite. lol
Thanks for the input, we do try all the hints we get here.

Old 08-30-20, 08:35 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
If someone hasn't mentioned it yet after 11 years the fuel lines need to be replaced a cracked fuel line can create a lot of crazy fuel related issues. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-30-20, 10:56 AM
You are so right. We have actually checked that out too.
I should have mentioned that before I guess. We are just so dumbfounded about it not having any spark.
Hubby is very frustrated with this, and tends to just walk away from it, when he gets too angry. lol Glad too as I would have pitched it over the hill by now. lol
Thanks for the input.

Old 08-30-20, 11:52 AM
B
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Have you tried installing the old coil and plug since it was creating a spark before removal? If it doesn't you have changed something else in the ignition circuit.

Old 08-30-20, 12:48 PM
Yes we did that too. It was running, sat for about 15 minutes, long enough to put more string on the head, then it wouldn't throttle up. Then no spark, and even tho we have tried everything we could think of, it still has no spark. We have tried the old coil, old plug, still no spark.
Thanks for the input!
I do appreciate all those who offer some input, we are at a standstill right now with it.

Old 08-30-20, 01:44 PM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You have to gap the coil

When you are installing a new coil there should be an air gap of about the thickness Of two pieces of paper between the coil and the flywheel. Tell him to Loosen the bolts on the coil insert an envelopE between the coil and flywheel then rotate the flywheel until the magnets line up and stick to the flywheel. Tighten screwa then remove the paper. Rip and roll.

Old 08-30-20, 04:01 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I suspect your problem with the spark isn't a "no spark", but simply you aren't detecting it. Sometimes they are hard to see. It helps a lot to test in a dark garage, basement, or dark room of some type.

I would suggest dumping all the gas out of the tank, take the plug out and spin it over a few times to purge the fumes. Then put a spoon of gas mix down the plug hole, put in the plug, and pull it over with fully open throttle and the choke off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: