Ryobi String Trimmer Starting Problems???

Old 09-11-20, 12:46 PM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ryobi String Trimmer Starting Problems???

I have problems starting this trimmer. I have cleaned and rebuilt carb, new gas lines and fuel filter. Says to flip yellow lever and primer bulb 7 times. It will not start. If I squirt starting fluid in it fires right up and runs perfect and idles. I can trim day and it runs great. Shut off and it will start right up. Sits overnight and I cannot get it started. Any Suggestions? Thanks

Old 09-11-20, 02:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Have you checked out the priming system? It sounds like the primer bulb is not working. Do you see or feel the bulb fill with fuel after a few pushes?

Old 09-11-20, 07:26 PM
D
Yes, you can see gas go thru the line, as it pressurizes the tank. There are two lines on back of primer mount. Maybe it is suppose to go from tank thru primer to the other line and pump in carb. Maybe something is plugged in that?

Old 09-13-20, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
If ther primer is filling with gas, it's probably doing what it should. Does the yellow lever hold the throttle open a bit and disengage when you hit the throttle trigger?

Old 09-14-20, 12:55 PM
D
Yes it holds it open but not much. I replaced the primer. The short gas line that goes from the primer to the carb I disconnected from carb and pushed on the primer and gas did not come out of it? Even with the new primer bulb it will not start, as I said before one shot of starting fluid in carb it fires and runs great?? I am at a loss.

Old 09-14-20, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd suspect an air leak between the carb and the engine or the choke not closing.

Old 09-15-20, 12:51 PM
D
If it were an air leak wouldn't that affect on how it runs? Because once started it runs perfect and will restart again but not after it sits

Old 09-15-20, 03:44 PM
D
I think it has to do with when you push the primer it is not pumping gas into the carb. Just not sure why.

Old 09-15-20, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not supposed to.

Old 09-16-20, 03:31 PM
D
What does the primer bulb do? I thought it always put gas in cylinder?

Old 09-17-20, 03:05 PM
F
Received 31 Votes on 24 Posts
I bought a new Ryobi 2-stroke trimmer last year. From day one I've never even tried to start it without a can of starter fluid nearby. I prime it and give it three tugs and if it doesn't start, I squirt some starter fluid around the intake without removing the filter cover. And it's rare that it doesn't start on the first tug after hitting it with the starter fluid (and this is Prestone, not the hi-ether good stuff). It never fails and to me it's a lot less headache than trying to figure out why it won't start.

Old 10-04-20, 08:07 AM
D
That's crazy, I agree that would be easier.. Its a nice trimmer and runs well when started. Would like to figure it out. Maybe I can check with ryobi??

Old 10-04-20, 08:52 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
What does the primer bulb do? I thought it always put gas in cylinder
It circulates gas through the carb and back to the tank. It's purpose is to purge the lines and carb of air and fill the fuel reservoir in the carburetor. When you cold start it the choke has a full charge of fuel to work with.

Your primer should be pumping gas one way from the tank, through the carb, and back to the tank. With that working the choke should start it cold.

Old 10-04-20, 09:10 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
While the engine is running spray/dribble some carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along the mating surfaces if the engine tempo changes you have an air leak it could be a failing gasket or a cracked insulator. Have a good one, Geo

Old 10-04-20, 11:01 AM
D
Thanks will give that a try, all the gaskets looked good when I put the carb back on. Primer Bulb is working and is doing what you said. Thanks

Old 10-04-20, 12:32 PM
M
The short gas line that goes from the primer to the carb I disconnected from carb and pushed on the primer and gas did not come out of it?
Is this still the case?.........................................

Old 10-04-20, 01:11 PM
D
I started it up, sprayed brake cleaner all around gaskets on carb and did not change anything, still runs great. Yes I pulled that short hose that goes to carb again and the primer bulb does nothing with it removed just pumps air. Put back on and it pumped gas and fills the primer bulb. Actually I think it pressurizes the tank? I am at a loss.

Old 10-04-20, 07:27 PM
M
Actually I think it pressurizes the tank
It really isn't intended to pressurize the tank. The primer just pulls gas from the tank, through the carb and returns the fuel to the tank. Consequently it returns the same amount it takes from the tank or close to it.

There are some different types of primers, though. Some pump air into the carb bowl and force fuel up into the carb throat leading to the engine head. That may be one you were thinking of. . But fuel isn't moving through the bulb, just air.

Old 10-05-20, 05:23 AM
D
When I push on the primer bulb I can see fuel in the primer bulb. It is a new primer. There shouldn't be fuel in it when you push on it?

Old 10-05-20, 05:52 AM
M
You're good with what you have. You should have fuel in the bulb.

Old 01-24-21, 02:45 PM
D
I just wanted to post an update with this trimmer. I have played with this for sometime, as I have said that if I squirt starting fluid in it runs perfect. Let it sit over night and it will not start. So this has been sitting. I pulled it out today and again it would not start. I took the carb off and I switched the gas lines on the primer bulb. It is one of the snap on bulbs that is on the air cleaner bracket. There are two pins on the bulb one long and one short. Put it back together and primed it the 7 times it says it it started right up and ran perfect. I even sent a message to ryobi and they told me I needed a new carb. Shows what they know. Hope this helps someone else that has this problem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: