Bolting broken part of mower deck back together.

Old 09-14-20, 01:00 AM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Bolting broken part of mower deck back together.

Old mower here, that stays on a remote property for occasional mowing.

It's a bit hard to see in these pics, because the color is all the same, but the back section of the pulley assembly broke off from the main deck, and I drilled 3 bolts through the main deck, to reattach it. I was planning on using red threadlocker to ensure the nuts stay secured... just wondered if there were any better ideas for keeping the nuts from vibrating loose.

Also, I'm just using basic bolts/nuts from local hardware store... I 'think' they are galvanized... dont know if a different material would be better suited, or better type of nut/washer.

Old 09-14-20, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
Lock nuts would be best for that kind of repair but the ideal thing would be to run it by a shop with a welder and let them weld it back down. It would probably be less than $50.

tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.
Old 09-14-20, 06:06 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Talk to Norm, he's ready for some welding projects!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-15-20, 10:23 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Your fix will not work because as you try to tighten the bolts, the two ears of the bracket where the bolts are located will bend before getting tight. Suggest using spacers (washers and/or pipe nipples) between the bracket and mower deck. Suggest using a beveled washer on the underside of the deck on the bolt that enters the deck on a sloped portion so the tightening force remains vertical. Also use split lock washers under the nuts.

Old 09-15-20, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's why I suggest lock nuts, so that he doesn't have to tighten the bolts up enough for lock washers to be effective. You can't tighten this, just snug it all up so that it's back in place.

Old 09-16-20, 06:12 AM
B
Cheese, the bracket was fixed to the deck before the weld failed. If the bolts are not tight, the bracket will move laterally, initially by the amount the new anchoring bolts can angle, side to side, and increase as the clearance holes in the deck enlarge because the bolt is not anchored to the bracket and/or deck. Lock nuts won't stop the bolts from angling side to side unless the bracket is fixed to the deck by tight bolts, shimmed to maintain the original clearance between the bracket and deck.

Old 09-16-20, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's still welded across the front. The back just broke loose and let the deck hang down a bit. It's a common place for these decks to break.

Old 09-16-20, 11:52 AM
B
Cheese, thanks for the update.

Old 09-16-20, 12:26 PM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
I had a similar problem and drilled a hole directly behind the bracket as close as I could get and installed a bolt with a large washer on the under side, it worked as long as I had the mower. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: