Kawasaki 25 HP

Old 09-24-20, 09:34 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Kawasaki 25 HP

I'm at my wits end on trying to get this engine to run right for more then a few days.
It's a Kawasaki 25 HP, PS-ZT440-3013.
It only has about 100 hours on it.
It starts out running rough and just gets worst the more you run it and finely will just quit running.
So far the carb, has been rebuilt twice by the head mech. at my local dealership.
Gas tank has been removed and flushed twice to make sure there was no trash in it.
Fuel filter replaced twice.
New air filter.
New carb. installed.
New fuel pump.
It's never had old fuel in it.
The day after the carb. gets cleaned, or replaced it runs fine for a day but each day it gets worst and worst.
When it does stop running when you remove the air filter there will be unburned fuel laying in the bottom of the air box like the float had been sticking.
But if you remove the bowl and lift the float the fuel will shut compleaty off.
We have never seen any trash in the float bowl.
I know it's not the fuel cap because the day after cleaning it I can run it for 6 hours straight with no issue, the next day it starts skipping again.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-20, 09:44 AM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Have you pulled plug wires one at a time to isolate a possible ignition problem. Also that has two coils so there would be a diode in the kill wire. You might disconnect the kill wires at the coil to check it out. Keep in mind you would need to choke it to kill it.

Old 09-24-20, 10:16 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion.
Question, If it was an ignition issue why would it run prefect for a whole day just after the carb. been cleaned or changed then get worst the next day.
Also often times when it's an ignition issue it will get worst as it gets hotter, not the case with this one.
I forgot to mention I also change the spark plugs and checked for spark with a real inline tester when it died one time and it looked like both where even.

Old 09-24-20, 10:16 AM
A
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
what do the plugs look like are they fouled the fuel in the air box seems like an issue if the carb is dumping excessive fuel usually you will foul the plugs and it will continue to run bad the fact it runs for a day after working on the carb seems like you still probably have a carb problem with the float or needle and seat.

Old 09-24-20, 11:55 AM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Also often times when it's an ignition issue it will get worst as it gets hotter, not the case with this one/ [It starts out running rough and just gets worst the more you run it and finely will just quit running/QUOTE]
[
QUOTE]checked for spark with a real inline tester when it died one time and it looked like both where even.
Try pulling the plug wires one at a time and see if it runs about the same on each of the opposing cylinders
. Also try disconnecting the coil wires for the kill. If you have a bad diode it creates a crossfire so may see a good spark but it would be poorly timed. Although a bad diode seems to be an all or nothing.

The biggest question you have, though is why all this with 100 hours.

Old 09-24-20, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 40 Posts
Check the bowl vent. It might have a plastic hose on it. If it's clogged or pinched, it can do this.

Old 09-24-20, 03:11 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
This is a common issue with Kawasaki engines, my MTD 17hp Kawasaki engine had same issues, I could not get to the spark plugs fast enough when it started running rough, hot or cold, to diagnose which cylinder.

Purchased new coil, picked cylinder to replace, got lucky, has run like a champ for 3 years!

Old 09-25-20, 04:33 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
If it has solid lifters, have you checked valve/rocker arm gap?