Poulan Woodshark Chainsaw

Old 10-15-20, 05:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Poulan Woodshark Chainsaw

Hi, I have a Poulan woodshark Chainsaw that is only a few years old. Last fall my son in law cut some trees down for me but before he was quite finished the chain broke. I finally replaced the chain a few weeks ago but now I cannot get this thing to start. I've tried everything, new gas, new spark plug, Ive checked the fuel lines, theyre getting old but in one piece, still doesn't start. It doesn't even try to start. I've ordered a new air filter, but tried starting it without the air filter on...nothing. Not one pop. I don't have any way to actually measure compression, but it pulls hard enough to have some compression. I'm becoming frustrated as I don't know what else to try! Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-20, 06:19 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Well, I'll start with this. I'm sure others will chime in especially cheese

Have you checked/changed the spark plug?
How old was the gas you put in it & was fuel stabilizer added to it?
Any spark from the plug wire?

We'll start there........

Old 10-15-20, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 40 Posts
If you dribble a bit of gas into the spark plug hole and try, will it start momentarily? Are you giving it full choke and full throttle? Or will this saw allow full throttle while choking?

Old 10-16-20, 02:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
I have the Poulan 3314 saw which is a little smaller but with it if you hit the throttle it shuts off the choke. Mine always starts easily although it never goes more than a month without being run.
Like Cheese, I'd put a small amount of gas in the cylinder, reinstall the sparkplug and see if it will at least run for a few seconds.

You are pushing the prime bulb 4-6 times before you pull the rope, correct?

Old 10-16-20, 02:47 PM
R
I'm going to try the gas into the spark plug hole thing. Thank you.

Old 10-16-20, 03:07 PM
R
Well I have spark (the spark plug sparks) and I tried dribbling a tiny bit of gas into the spark plug hole...twice. And twice I got nothing. Is my chainsaw a greasy paperweight at this point? Or could it be something other than lack of compression due to a forked up cylinder? Any ideas?

Old 10-16-20, 06:12 PM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
The compression is probably OK. Dump all the gas out of the tank. Then full choke, no throttle pull it over three or four times (no magic number - just a few to clear out the carburetor). Then take out the plug and with full throttle, no choke pull it over a few times - about five - to clear the crankcase and combustion chamber.

Now put a spoon of fuel in the plug hole, stick the plug back in it and with full throttle spin it over. It may take a few pulls. Once it starts, put fuel back in the tank and push the primer until it fills with fuel, then four or five more times. That will charge the reservoir in the carb.

Now set the choke and throttle for normal starting and see how it goes.

Old 10-20-20, 05:26 PM
R
Hey Marbobj! Thank you. I tried your suggestions and the darn thing actually spat and sputtered and tried to growl to life for the first time. I just couldn't make it stay running after it used the fuel I poured in. So I'm guessing that means it's my fuel line or carb issue? I just received a "tune up" kit (air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and fuel line) but haven't had the chance to put them on (or figure out how) yet. Crossing my fingers this'll do the trick. Thank you again, I was ready to throw the damn thing through the window!

Old 10-20-20, 06:43 PM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
That's great. Two cycles can be a little ornery.
Did you run the primer through a few cycles after you put the gas back in?

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
R
Yeah, I tried everything, so today I took the carburetor apart since I was in there attempting to replace the fuel lines anyway. The diaphragm is crap. No springiness, one side was covered in fine crud. Everything else looks ok, as far as I can tell. Now I have to order more parts. Ugh.
Again, thank you for the help. I will update after I replace the diaphragm, or the whole carb if theyre fairly inexpensive.