Cub Cadet deck flex

Old 10-16-20, 07:10 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cub Cadet deck flex

We have a 2 year old Cub Cadet 21" mower with the front/rear/all wheel drive. When mowing and I go to turn at the end of a row (push the handle down slightly to lift the front to easily turn) the mower deck flexes. I've never seen this happen on any other mower in over 60 years of cutting lawns! You can actually see the sides of the deck move in and out. It causes the blade to hit slightly on the underside of the deck I took it in to an "authorized dealer in the neighborhood, and that butcher bent the rolled edge at the bottom of the deck to try to stop the noise. Has anyone else seen anything like this? As a last resort, I may have to cut down both ends of the blade which will stop it from hitting, but it won't stop the deck from flexing. Is there a cure? Of course the mower is about five months out of warranty.

Old 10-16-20, 07:26 AM
Received 463 Votes on 431 Posts
I may have to cut down both ends of the blade
I would urge extreme caution with a blade modification, they have some min balance requirements so you could do some damage to the engine.

And something with the mower just doesn't sound right, the mower deck should not be flexing that much.

I would be on the phone to the company talking to someone before making any physical modifications!

Old 10-16-20, 07:27 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Depends how much trouble you want to go to for reinforcing it. If it is causing trouble and you are the last chance to fix it, I would bolt 1/8 inch strips on the outside of the deck. Probably 1 inch wide would do it.

Old 10-16-20, 09:23 AM
B
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
Rust will weaken a steel deck. Would not expect that on a 2 year old deck. As someone has already suggested, call the manufacturer's customer service and complain. Rust prevention is the reason why the underside of the a deck should be cleaned and repainted often, more so when the grass is heavily fertilized and definitely before storing for the winter.

Old 10-16-20, 02:48 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It certainly isn't a rust issue. I scrape and clean the underside every time we use it, and it is stored indoors(and dry) when not being used. It is clean underneath. If you push the handle down even slightly, you can see the deck flex. The so called dealer that attempted to "fix" it pointed out the deck flex- after he bent down the rolled lip at the bottom of the deck- but said to live with it. He won't be getting anymore business from us. We bought a non running Cub Cadet push mower at a garage sale. After a gas filter change and a carb cleaning, it runs like a top. That one, even though it's about 8-10 years older, has absolutely no flex at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: