Ryobi gen/inverter model 2300 altitude question

Old 10-20-20, 11:15 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Ryobi gen/inverter model 2300 altitude question

Brought home my Ryobi gen/inverter model 2300 from cabin. Need to drain the typical gas and fill with non-ethanol gas. I plan on keeping the unit at the cabin during winter months. Most likely will visit cabin maybe three to four times during winter.
As I was reading the manual as to how to empty gas (tip the unit over, geez can't they come up with a better system?) I noticed an altitude warning. The unit is configured for operation below 2000 feet altitude at the factory.
Using several phone apps, my cabin elevation hovers around 2000 feet. Depending on which app I use it might say 1925 feet or slightly over 2000 feet. The manual goes on to say, "Operating the engine with the wrong engine configuration at a given altitude may increase its emissions, decrease fuel efficiency, degrade performance and cause irreversible damage. Engines configured for high altitude operation cannot be operated in standard altitude conditions. A qualified service center should ensure that your engine is properly configured for your location."
My question is, do I need to worry and have the engine recalibrated and is it something I can do myself? What does that entail?
Been running all summer and it seems OK. It was left out for a couple weeks and had a hard time starting and it took awhile to run smooth at regular idle vs auto idle switch which will run in low mode with no load.

Old 10-20-20, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
2.000 feet is a ridiculously low altitude for them to worry about re-tuning. Are you sure they didn't say meters? Something closer to 6'000 feet I could understand but 2'000 is probably a number they put on to comply with emissions requirements. I certainly would not worry about it in winter. With the cold, dry air the density altitude is probably well below 2'000 feet. Since you haven't had any trouble with the generator in summer I wouldn't worry about it then either.

As for dumping the gas. Later in the season when you won't be running the generator very often you can run AVGAS. It's more highly refined that alcohol free auto gas and can sit for long periods without gunking up the carburetor and you don't have to add fuel preservative. It makes winter use a breeze since you just use it when you want and turn it off when you're done.

Old 10-20-20, 11:53 AM
Thanks PD. It's what I thought also. That 2000 feet is a direct quote out of the operation manual.

I don't have easy access to aviation fuel. To be honest where would I go to get it? The municipal airport or the small aircraft airport in our area. Is it sold over the counter in a store? I was planning to get the non ethanol fuel from our local gas station. Does it do any good to add a fuel stabilizer to the that stuff?

Old 10-20-20, 12:48 PM
I did a Google as to where to buy AVGAS. To my surprise there are several places I can by in my area.
A quick phone call tells me they are not allowed to sell a gallon or two to non license pilots and you must have an airplane. He tells me it's a $10,000 fine if he is caught. He told me I could try the other airports but they all are under the same rules.
So how do I buy AVGAS?

Old 10-20-20, 02:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You just walk in to your local small airport with a jug and ask for 5 gallons.

Avgas does not have over the road taxes like auto gas so it can only be sold for aviation purposes. I use it in my gas powered RC airplanes... I suppose that counts.

Never use Avgas in anything with a catalytic converter or in a fuel injected engine that has oxygen sensors.

Old 10-20-20, 03:49 PM
Maybe NY has different laws but the guy said he won't sell to me and doubts any other airport will either.

Old 10-20-20, 05:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are right around 2000 feet, I dont know that I would worry about it all that much. If you run it and find that it seems to lack power and doesn't pull load like it should, maybe then get it retuned. I believe that retuning it would involve making adjustments to the carburator for high altitude, most likely leaning it out to compensate for the thinner air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: