Poulan Riding Mower Won't Start

Old 11-07-20, 09:37 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Poulan Riding Mower Won't Start

I have been using my Poulan Pro Riding Mower all summer with no issues. I thought I would mow the lawn for hopefully the last time. When I started it it backfired I used it for a few minutes and stopped to empty the bags. Then it would not restart, I turned the air intake screen and it seems to hit a point that is very difficult to keep turning. Once it gets past that it turns easily for about 3 rotations then it hits that point again. If you try to start it at the hard point it just clicks like the engine is stuck. When you try to start it when it is just past the the hard spot it will spin until it hits that spot again. Any ideas?

Old 11-07-20, 10:55 AM
B
Received 227 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Assuming the blades didn't hit anything between the backfire and the bags being emptied. my guess is a safety interlock is stuck in its unsafe position. Check all safety switches. If the blades hit something,my guess is the flywheel has slipped on the crankshaft requiring a flywheel key replacement.

Old 11-07-20, 12:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Hopefully the hard spot you feel when turning the cool air screen is just the cylinder coming up on compression.

You say it "clicks". Does the starter motor engage with the engine making a louder clunk or are you hearing a subtle click of a starting solenoid? Does the engine turn over when you try to start?

Without knowing more I'd check your battery and make sure all battery questions are shiny clean and tight.

Old 11-07-20, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 99 Posts
I pretty much guarantee your compression release mechanism on the cam shaft broke. You don't say anything about what brand or model engine you have but just by this description I'm pretty sure it's a single cylinder briggs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: