two tractor related questions

Old 11-29-20, 08:34 AM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
two tractor related questions

I have a 2011 model Kubota M5640 tractor. It is synchronized in third and fourth gears but not first and second. No matter how slow the engine is running and how slowly I shift into one of these lower gears, the gears grind. Since this seems not to be avoidable (engine will not crank unless in neutral) am I looking at a major transmission rebuild in the future or is this just expected and I need to live with it?

Separately, I am interested in buying an additional tractor in the 20-30hp range. My farmer neighbor who has large John Deere equipment tells me to stay away from Mahindra. His reasoning is that a lot of them are for resale with very low hours and to him that suggests they are either not holding up or are disappointing to their current owners. Is Mahindra or any other specific make to be avoided? I strongly desire something that is long term dependable even though I put few hours on my equipment.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-20, 09:09 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Note the engine rpms when it's warmed up and idling, then get it into low gear with the clutch down and see if the rpms are dragging down. The clutch may not be fully releasing and a simple adjustment may take care of it.

As far as the low hours on tractors, acreage equipment doesn't get a lot of hours due to the usage. It's not like farming equipment.

Old 11-29-20, 12:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
my tractor is a 1953 ford, none of the gears are synchronized but it's not really an issue to take off in 4th gear - don't know if that applies to your tractor or not

Old 11-29-20, 12:42 PM
L
Yes, I can start in 3d of 4th but my desired speed for bush hogging is high range, 1st gear.

You gotta Golden Jubilee?

Old 11-29-20, 12:49 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I'm on my second JD, first was a 2305, current is 2210.

They are small compact diesels but they are awesome tractors. As they say nothing runs like a Deere!

BTW, my 2210 is an 06, purchased with around 200 hrs, currently has 500. I figure I can sell it for same, maybe a bit more than when I purchased in 08. Forget initial purchase price, look for resell, in the long run that is what makes a good purchase!

Old 11-29-20, 01:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I think Mahindra are good tractors and possibly more reliable than many higher tech brands. I think their reputation comes from their customers. Many are first time tractor owners not accustomed to what a tractor can cost, so they go for a lower cost option. Then after getting some experience they realize they didn't buy enough machine and their "first tractor" goes on the used market with relatively low hours. That can leave a lot of good, low hour machines on the market that knows how you want to use it.

My issue with some non-major tractor brands is the ergonomics. I'm to a point where I'm not going to split my knuckle open getting it into gear or have my knee cramp up using the hydro. That said... there is a lot to be said for dumb, reliable mechanical systems. If you won't be using the new tractor a lot I'd consider lower tech and reliability over computer control.

Old 11-29-20, 01:26 PM
L
Thanks for your thoughts on the Mahindra. As for the knee cramp using the hydro, if its not manual transmission, I will not buy it. If I can not set the throttle and just guide it, I need to bush hog with something else.

I also have a 88 Ford 1920. Still a great running machine.

Old 11-29-20, 02:28 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
On an L4400 Kubota, I dont have trouble grinding the gears, my grinding is between rev & low. Its mostly going into reverse when I have stopped & want to move again. This thing is a great little tractor & its got about 200 -250 hours on it & its about a 2007 year model bought new.

One of my brothers has a 50 HP Mahindra. It looks like crap from fading paint, but I have asked him several times if he likes it & he says he does. AFAIK, he's only had one issue & it was a wiring issue. It took a couple of weeks to get the parts from China. I have no clue about his hours but I would say its something like a 2010 year model & he bought it new.

If he is around when I grind reverse a little, he'll holler over at me and say: "grind me off a few pounds of that". Then kinda grin a little.

Old 11-30-20, 02:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
You gotta Golden Jubilee?
yep

I only use 4th gear when traveling down a paved road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: