Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plastic carb float

Visiting Guest

06-18-01, 09:09 AM   #1  
jbezanson
On a Briggs and Stratton 12 hp engine I have on my ride-on lawnmower the carb float is made of plastic. The float is still o.k. but needs to be adjusted because the gas does not shut off when the bowl is full.

Here is the problem. On the tin floats there is a small tine you can adjust to get the float to shut the valve off sooner. On the plastic float there is no way to do that.

When I called the suppliers for the carb parts they told me the replacement was also plastic.

Any ideas on how I can fix this.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

06-18-01, 08:27 PM   #2  
Hello and Welcome jbezanson to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

Hello JBezanson

If the plastic float does float and it is okay, there shouldn't be any need to replace it granted. What is puzzling is why you need to adjust the fuel level in the bowl. That's not a question, it's a thought.

What just may be the problem is the needle end may have a rubber tip that is compressed, damaged or maybe missing?

Another thought could be the needle seat. Some of these can be made of rubber or a compressed product which may have shunk up.

Reason I mention this is to suggest that just maybe it is another part and not the non adjustable plastic float. Compressed parts under the needle may offer a clue or be the problem.

Another possibility could be the fuel tanks gas cap. It may be building a slight pressure as the fuel sloshes around. Also the the crankcase breathers mechanical condition.

Bare in mind the float must be perfectly level to the base of the upper portion of the carb body with the bowl off.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"

Search this Thread