Tecumseh HM1000 in Generator Fuel Issues

Old 01-19-21, 09:38 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh HM1000 in Generator Fuel Issues

I had an earlier post and I got miss fixed by lapping and adjusting valve clearance.

Now I have another very strange fuel flow problem. This is a generator with a large overhead tank and gravity feed fuel system. When I start it I have a full fuel filter
and as it runs the filter slowly empties until engine stalls as it runs out of fuel. If I let it sit a few minutes I see fuel flow back into filter and it will run again for about 10 minutes until filter empties and it quits.

I have all new 1/4 in fuel lines and filter.
I have checked flow from shutoff valve into a bucket and it seems to flow a steady stream.
I know someone will mention gas cap vent but the same thing happens with cap removed and vent is clear.
I even removed filter and put a pipe in place and it still runs out of fuel and quits after 10 minutes.

It looks like motor is taking fuel faster than it can be replaced from the tank. Almost like its not primed but if I unhook hose from carb I have a steady flow. Carb is new
and I have tried old carb with same results.

Maybe the fuel shutoff is a problem but I see good flow but not certain how quickly it should flow. I blew shutoff out with air and and took it apart and looked for obstructions but could it be still slowing fuel flow? I am lost as to why this is happening. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Mowfixer

Old 01-19-21, 10:26 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Sounds like the float needle in the carburetor is stuck in the up position. Remove carburetor and check operation of float needle. Clean and adjust as necessary.

Old 01-19-21, 10:57 AM
M
I have 2 carbs and they both act the same. I did take your advice and looked at both of them and no signs of needle sticking in the seat.

I noticed shutoff valve plunger that shuts fuel flow off, even when open fully blocks part of the flow and does not move totally out of the way. Its was made this way so guess it doesnt cause trouble. Was going to get new shutoff but hole in tank is .540 and replacements I find have grommet for 33/64 hole which is smaller so it will leak.

Old 01-19-21, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The rubber seat usually swells up on these carbs and blocks flow.

Old 01-19-21, 12:27 PM
M
What is the solution. Do they make viton seats that fit these?

Old 01-19-21, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Replacing the seat is the only solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: