Generator leaks gasoline

Old 02-17-21, 01:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator leaks gasoline

I have a PowerBoss 5500W Briggs & Stratton generator that I bought 13 years ago when we had a hurricane come through. I ran it for a few days back then, however have not used it since. It has been kept boxed up in my garage. I went to start it yesterday. I changed the oil, filled up with gasoline and turned the gasoline tap on. I then noticed that gasoline was pouring out around the air filter. I took the air filter off and the gasoline is pouring out of the location highlighted with the red arrow in the photo. I also noticed that the crank rope was extremely difficult to pull!

I appreciate any help that anyone in this forum can provide. Thanks !!

Gasoline is pouring out near the red arrow

Last edited by PJmax; 02-17-21 at 03:43 PM. Reason: resized pics/labeled one
Old 02-17-21, 01:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 969 Votes on 890 Posts
The float valve in the carburetor is stuck or gunked-up. It's usually caused by leaving gas in the carb and then letting it sit for a long period. A good cleaning is all it should need.

Difficult to pull is also probably related to the long storage especially if you didn't do anything to preserve the engine. It should loosen up after it gets some run time.

Old 02-18-21, 07:02 AM
D
Thanks PD. I will strip and clean the carb today. Thanks for the quick response. Most appreciated.

Old 02-19-21, 06:26 PM
D
Now works like a charm thanks PD.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: