Deere tractor hard to start!

Old 04-07-21, 05:06 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deere tractor hard to start!

Hi folks - so Iíve got a Deere 110 tractor/mower that suddenly became hard to start when I took it out and fired it up this spring. Judging from the symptoms I suspect someone with more experience here will know whatís going on. So it wouldnít turn over and I assumed battery was gone so replaced it. New battery and same thing. After checking the cable connections (both ends) etc and still nothing I turned to motor over by hand from the top to make sure it spun and it then started. Since, if it does not start I can turn the motor over a bit and it will start. So it feels like itís having trouble going over TDC but with some momentum it will turn over and catch. Is this a valve adjustment thing? Only thing I can think of. Once itís running itís fine and most times once it warmed up it will catch and run but not always. Thx!

Old 04-07-21, 05:39 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
You said that you checked the cable connections at both ends. Did you physically remove, clean, and reconnect them, including the ground cable to the chassis or wherever it is connected? The latter is sometimes a bit harder to locate and access, so often overlooked, but verifying good connections is the first place I always start. While you are it, make sure the bond between the cables and ends are not jeopardized, particularly the ones at the battery where corrosion can build up and chew away at the ends. Next I would take a good look at the starter to make sure the business end where it engages the flywheel isn't packed with clippings. Otherwise, what engine is it so that someone may be able to provide some more specific things to look at.

Old 04-07-21, 07:05 AM
G
Thank you! So it looks like a Deere engine: 540cc and 19 hp. And yes on the cables - all clean, tightened and corrosion free. And again, it starts right up after I turn the motor back and forth a bit by hand, and as Iím doing so I can feel real stiff resistance on what must be the compression stroke.

Old 04-07-21, 07:32 AM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
It could be a bad spot on the starter. when you rotate the engine, the starter may also turn and land in a better spot. You might be able to bench test the starter off the engine.

- Peter

Old 04-07-21, 07:41 AM
G
Thank you will give it a try

Old 04-07-21, 09:18 AM
M
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Sounds like the compression isn't releasing. If you have the OHV engine, setting the valve lash may take of it. Shows up here a lot.

Old 04-07-21, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
Yes, adjust the valves, this is your problem.

Old 04-08-21, 03:41 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Check for warn brushes on the starter.

Old 04-09-21, 05:29 AM
G
Thanks all - I saw valves too on a google search. All very helpful as always

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: