Mower won't start

Old 04-09-21, 11:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 176 Posts
Mower won't start

Dusting off the lawn mower from being last used about 2 years ago and it won't start. The pull string pulls and I can feel the engine turning, but it might putter, but never gets going at all.

I'm sure the gas is old and the carb probably got gummed up. I've fixed other small engines by taking them apart and using carb cleaner, but this one seems to have somewhat of an internal carb. I'm not sure how much of the engine I need to take apart. I tried spraying some cleaner in, which I could hear it ignite and try to start, but didn't really help.

I've also changed the oil, gas, and air filter, but I assume these don't really affect this issue.

It's an older version of this mower, I can take pictures if it would help.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21...6VKA/314013158

Any suggestions for a small engine repair novice?

Old 04-09-21, 01:25 PM
M
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Try Sea Foam in the gas tank. Dump out the old gas. Mix the Sea Foam 4 ounces to a qt of fresh gas. Use a full choke and half throttle, then spin it over half dozen times. Let that sit for an hour and try to start it with your usual procedures.

Baldwin voted this post useful.
Old 04-10-21, 09:31 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks marbobj, will give it a shot and report back.

Old 04-10-21, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
If you can get the seafoam into the carb it may work out but if the carb is already full with old gas, you're probably going to have to clean it. It's not "internal", it's a regular carb on the side of the engine.

Old 04-10-21, 06:09 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks - got it up and running. The SeaFoam seemed to help - though needed a new spark plug too. Thanks for the point in the right direction!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: