Push Mower Squeal and then bang and lost power

Old 04-10-21, 02:56 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Push Mower Squeal and then bang and lost power

My craftsman m110 ran fine the first weekend after winter.

I changed the oil, sharpened the blade, and changed the air filter before the first mow.

After the first mow, I sprayed down the underside of the mower with a garden house on “jet” setting. Mower was tipped the correct way (“gas over oil”).

The next weekend, the mower ran fine for about 5 minutes, then:
1) started to squeal for about 2 minutes
2) made a banging noise
3) lost power
4) has not been able start since

Here is what I have tried so far:
1) tested that pull tension feels normal
2) removed spark plug and could see that fuel is getting to it (wet)
3) checked spark plug for spark, it sparks
4) checked physical resistance of spinning the blade by hand. can feel that blade spins like before (some strong resistance when hand lever is not pulled, free spinning when hand lever is pulled)
5) drained old fuel (it was “regular” from a tank from last season, I now see the mower should not take more than 10% ethanol), replaced with premium gas
6) still would not start
7) checked flutter valve on carburetor intake to make sure not sticking. It is clean and not sticking
8) sprayed carb cleaner into intake, waited to dry
9) sprayed starting fluid into intake and tried to start, still will not start
10) it feels like the blade/engine might be more “wobbly” when it it trying to start, but might be in my head

Any suggestions for what to check/replace next?

thanks,
mike
9)

Old 04-10-21, 05:16 PM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Have you checked the oil level? On the chance gas may have entered the crankcase when you washed the machine, drain and replace oil.

mikemcclinto voted this post useful.
Old 04-10-21, 05:19 PM
M
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
The squealing and bang part is scary. Drain the oil into a pan and check for metal particles. Rinse the crankcase at least once with clean oil to get a good job of cleaning. If you have metal in the old oil, the engine is likely finished.

Old 04-11-21, 06:20 AM
M
Ok thanks to both of you. I’ll drain, inspect, and replace the oil, and see how that goes.

Old 04-11-21, 12:18 PM
M
Well I guess it’s time for a new mower?

Well, I guess it’s time for a new mower?

Old 04-11-21, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
Sounds like the engine blew. Was the oil level low? That's the usual reason. If so, the pull rope should be much easier to pull than before and the engine will likely keep spinning after you give it a good pull (no compression).

Old 04-11-21, 12:41 PM
Received 29 Votes on 24 Posts
The OP said that he washed the underside of the mower with a garden hose on the jet setting after using the mower for the first time this season. If the engine was hot when being sprayed with cold water, the thermal shock could have cracked the crankcase cover, causing the engine to lose oil and self-destruct. Just a guess.

Old 04-11-21, 12:45 PM
M
Yes, I did notice the oil level was low. And there was an oil spot under the mower (not large enough for the amount of oil it was low).

The pull chord doesn’t seem that much easier to pull, but there is spinning after the pull.

Thanks for the help, an expensive reminder to check the oil level before every now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: