Kawasaki FH 480V lawnmower: Am I missing something?

Old 04-22-21, 12:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kawasaki FH 480V lawnmower: Am I missing something?

Hello, I have a Kawasaki FH 480V lawnmower engine that I had running and then stalled. I put gas that had a fuel stabilizer in it but it would not start. I decided to change the fuel filter, spark plug and cleaned the carb( jet, float, all holes and the bowl) but no luck. I drained the fuel thinking the fuel may be old and put fresh fuel in but nothing. The engine will start when sprayed with carb cleaner then dies when that burns off. I checked the fuel pump and it does have a vacuum and the air filter is clean. If the carb still had a blockage after cleaning, it would not run when sprayed with carb cleaner right? All the linkage to the carb is lubricated and in working order. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-22-21, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Does it have an electric fuel shutroff solenoid on the bottom of the carb?

Old 04-22-21, 12:51 PM
R
Not that know of. Just a bolt on the bottom of the bowl holding it to the carb. There wasn't anything attached to the carb wire wise.

Old 04-22-21, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
Are the holes in the bolt that holds the bowl on clear? Insert a wire through them and also through the jet that goes up the center of the carb and if there is a jet screwed into the side of the stem where the bowl bolt goes, push wire through it too.

Old 04-23-21, 04:19 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Read on the web the engine has a float type carb and you state there is a fuel pump. Both parts need to operate in concert to provide fuel for the engine.

Old 04-23-21, 06:10 AM
M
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
If the carb still had a blockage after cleaning, it would not run when sprayed with carb cleaner right?
It would run for a short time. Spraying into the carb throat does what a working carb does - for a short time.

After a shot of spray/run time does the bowl on the carb fill with gas? If it does you have blockage in the carb. If not you have a problem with the pump or lines from the tank to the carb.

Old 04-23-21, 09:11 AM
R
Thanks for all the replies. I did take out the jet and poked a wire through all the holes and also cleaned all other passages the same way. I tested all the hoses and gas comes through. I tested the pump by disconnecting the hose that goes to the carb by cranking the engine and gas comes out so I know that the fuel is getting to the carb. I did not check to see if the bowl fills with gas though. I will check that next. I'm thinking water got in the gas can when I leant it out to someone along with my p/w. I then used the same can to fill my mower. Would dry gas clear that up? Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-23-21, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
Verify that fuel actually makes it into the bowl. The needle may be stuck or something blocked the inlet. I wouldn't count on drygas to remove any water. Water will be at the bottom, it doesn't mix with gas.

Old 04-27-21, 05:36 AM
R
I got the mower running and it runs great. After doing everything suggested I changed the fuel again and it started right up. Thank you to all of you for the help. Much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: