Choosing the right hydraulic fluid for a log splitter

Old 05-06-21, 07:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Choosing the right hydraulic fluid for a log splitter

My stepfather just gave me his log splitter. (Earthquake Warrior Quick-split 12) and he's informed me that the hydraulic fluid probably needs to be changed before I use it. I downloaded the manual for the specific model (W1265B manufactured in '08) and the only recommendation/instruction is to use 6 qt. of 10W hydraulic or Dexron transmission fluid. When searching options online, I haven't been able to find a single product that says 10W without additional numbers and letters coming into play. Further, when I look at Dexron fluid, I find products with III, IV, MERC, etc. after them... I've seen Lucas Oil offers gallon jugs of 'Universal Hydraulic Fluid' as well and wondered if that would a good option too. Basically, the log splitter manual isn't specific enough and I want to make sure I use the proper fluid. Please advise and thanks very much for your input in advance!

Popular Reply

05-06-21, 08:08 AM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
Any farm store will have 10W non detergent oil in bulk. But you would likely be better off using any transmission fluid whether any type of Dexron, Mercon, or type F. They are all 10w which just means it's thin. Transmission fluid will likely give you the best performance in any temperature.

If you drain it and the fluid is red you should stick with any type of transmission fluid.

If it's light or dark like motor oil, the universal hydraulic oil will work just fine.

Old 05-06-21, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
Any farm store will have 10W non detergent oil in bulk. But you would likely be better off using any transmission fluid whether any type of Dexron, Mercon, or type F. They are all 10w which just means it's thin. Transmission fluid will likely give you the best performance in any temperature.

If you drain it and the fluid is red you should stick with any type of transmission fluid.

If it's light or dark like motor oil, the universal hydraulic oil will work just fine.

Pilot Dane, ThrasherFan voted this post useful.
Old 05-06-21, 08:15 AM
T
Ok, great. This is very helpful. Thanks very much!

Old 05-06-21, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
You need to be careful.
10W non-detergent oil is an engine oil and should not be used in a hydraulic system.

If the fluid that is in the splitter is red in color it would be Dexron but it doesn't matter what type of fluid you use if it is red..
If you were in a cold climate( -30 degC) I would suggest you use something on the thin side but again any fluid marked as hydraulic would be good for you.

ThrasherFan voted this post useful.
Old 05-06-21, 11:13 AM
T
Thanks for the info, Greg. I live in Georgia, so the effect of cold climate on this sort of thing rarely is a concern. Would this work? This is what they have in stock at my local Walmart at the moment:

Valvoline DEX/MERC (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old 05-06-21, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
That would be fine. ..................

ThrasherFan voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: