Mower rope pulley not ceasing to rotate

Old 06-10-21, 07:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mower rope pulley not ceasing to rotate

Isn't it supposed to? I'm trying to install a new rope as it just broke. Did I break the pulley internals too? Should 8 take off that bolt and see if there's something to possibly fix in there? Thanks

Edit: opened it up. Looks like everything is intact. Any ideas?

Old 06-10-21, 07:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Where re the pawls/arms that engage the engine? I'm also not seeing any rope.

Old 06-10-21, 07:23 AM
J
They're there and come out and spring back as they should. I took the rope out. I'm replacing it. Is this pulling supposed to stop turning eventually? According to a DIY video I just watched its supposed to. If I could imagine how this works I could figure it out lol but my understanding of mechanics sucks apparently

Old 06-10-21, 11:11 AM
J
The paws don't come out when u pull the rope. Only if I hold the little metal cover. How's this supposed to work?

Old 06-10-21, 11:25 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
This is a simple process, put it back like the first pic now turn the pulley in the direction it will travel while the rope is being pulled, when you have turned it as far as it will go back it off until the hole in the shroud and the hole in the pulley are aligned, while holding it in place insert the new rope from the outside of the shroud and through the pulley hole and tie a knot in it, now slowly release the pulley while holding the new rope and it will rewind itself and you are finished. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-10-21, 11:40 AM
J
How do you reply to people in this forum? Modile view only shows #5 for example

And I'm not having much luck with desktop view on my phone either.

Either way people, I've got the rope in but the paws aren't coming out to grab the flywheel. How is that supposed to be done?

Old 06-10-21, 11:47 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there pins on the flywheel that the shiny disk sets on when it is installed? Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-10-21, 12:56 PM
J
Not that I see. So how's the paws supposed to come out?

Old 06-10-21, 02:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Springs hold the pawls in the retracted position. The centrifugal/centripetal (30 years after school and I keep forgetting the difference) force when you quickly pull the handle slings them outwards to engage the engine. So, when it's working properly you can slowly pull the starter handle of a mower and it will just turn and turn without doing anything. But if you pull it faster the pawls get slung outwards and engage and turn the engine.

Old 06-10-21, 03:06 PM
J
aha! I was wondering if it was originally so loose the little cover. So it's gotta be lose to freely counteract the torque? Lemme try again....

Old 06-10-21, 04:17 PM
J
Thanks guys. I got it like 85 percent lol. Same as when I replaced my clutch first time on a b2200 pickup in 2000ish. It worked but grumbled before catching. With the mower rope I think I should wash then lube that top plate as it hesitates to grab the flywheel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: